Dressed up in my new stuff!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can take a squaw for a wife and live with them in the winter, but can't wear their clothes?

Kind of picky weren't they?

Well actually white trappers were opposed to looking like an Indian. While Indian brides were a fact, typically those trappers who took Indian brides...white, black or Hispanic who adopted Indian dress were usually adopted into tribes. That's the trouble with history, it tends to follow facts which are easily documented.

Our "metal image" of things tends to cloud reality of what really was. However if historical accuracy isn't important and the fellowship of modern impressionism is the end goal, as I said there are plenty of good examples...such as the ones you offered. As an example there were fewer than a handful of white women in the Rocky Mountain west from 1800-1830's........thus why our ministry went from a portrayal of the Corps of Discovery to F&I colonial era, so that we could go co-ed and more inclusive with female students. A compromise was made for historical accuracy.

This guy got it right. :D

31934223-FORT-BRIDGER-WYOMING-AUG-30-Unidentified-participant-in-the-Fort-Bridger-Rendezvous-held-in-Fort-Bri-Stock-Photo.jpg

Good read...great history lesson for me guys!  While authentic photographs of the earliest of days will confirm a style, it could not possibly be all-inclusive.  I always enjoy classic art which often captures the common among us.  
In the earlier days artists were the journalist of today.

Marty

We are fortunate to have had some distinguished artist who risked their lives to venture into the Rocky Mountain west to document the fur trade. Unfortunately photography wasn't readily available and common until the late 1840's....most specifically the War with Mexico. So as you said the painter was the picture journalist of the early 1800's. Unlike many artist who painted in studios from memory, these guys painted what they saw on the spot. Most of the photos of today's historical impressions are to the untrained eye.... not always the best source for replicating period correct impressions....no matter how "awesome" or "authentic" they might appear. Until the internet fur trade impressions were mostly dependent on someone else research or "mental images". It has gotten a whole lot easier then it was back in the early 70's.

I read that sight all the time. It's pretty good. They talk about clothing, but not how it's worn.

I love it. I'd be the first one signing up back then. I'd hock what I had to buy a Hawken and be on my way.

FOR THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS

THE Subscribers wish to engage One Hundred MEN, to ascend the Missouri, to the
ROCKY MOUNTAINS

There to be employed as Hunters. As a compensation to each man fit for such business,
$200 PER ANNUM, will be given for his services, as aforesaid.

For particulars, apply to J.V. Garnier, or W. Ashley, at St. Louis. The expedition will set out from this place, on or before the first day of March.

Ain't never seen one of those hats with a chin strap!

Oh....that's beard!

:Hide:

Latest posts

Back