Do 209 primers degrade with time?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prostreetcamaro

Reaction score
Is there any evidence that 209 primers degrade from sitting over time? I just ran across some federal 209A primers in the old red box they used to come in. The primer hull is gold instead of the newer silver. They have been in the house for a few years so I assume they are fine but I just wanted to know if they degrade any?

I doubt it. If found some 30 year old CCI 109s and they seem to work fine.

prostreetcamaro

I think a lot of that question depends on how they are stored over time...

I have some really old ones - that I have no doubt will work...

Thanks guys. These have been stored in the gun cabnet in steady temps so I think they should be fine. I will pop a couple off to make sure they dont sound weak.

prostreetcamaro said:
Thanks guys. These have been stored in the gun cabnet in steady temps so I think they should be fine. I will pop a couple off to make sure they dont sound weak.

I wouldn't go loading up the rifle to go hunting without proving them out at the range first. Especially if you are hunting with BH209!

I have some that are three years old. They sit on a shelf in my gun room and they work fine. Don't know what else I can tell you other then they are Winchester W209.

About 20 years a go I was reloading shot shell and I bought several thousand win 209 primers, I quit shooting trap when my dad died and I am still using those 209's. I have not had any problems at all with them they were stored in a well ventilated attic which was open to moisture in the air and temperature changes the year round ; I think they are well sealed. Lee

timeless

My FIL was a big trap shooter. Got me into it. When I cleaned out his reloading room, I ran across a brick of Fed 209s that were dated 1973. I have now shot a couple hundred of them. Zero problems. Short of neglect, they're not going to go bad.

Busta said:
prostreetcamaro said:

I wouldn't go loading up the rifle to go hunting without proving them out at the range first. Especially if you are hunting with BH209!

I have decided to stick with T7 loose till the white hots hit the market and we figure out how they perform compared to Blackhorn. Also I havent tried BH yet because I refuse to pay $20 hazmat fee and nobody around here stocks it. My local gun shop said he will get it next year because he only places 1 order a year for powder. Even if they were slightly weak it should still light off T7 with relative ease I would think?

Back