DIY Spring Bear 2006

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairchase

Reaction score
I've been hunting bear for about two weeks. The season got off to a late start with most bears sleeping well passed the opener. It's been 25 years since we seen this much snow.
Anyway, after spending the first week hiking on snow shoes and seeing 7 different bears, I finally decided to end my season on Friday night. With this bear after it chased after and ran two other bears away.

This is my first muzzleloader bear and what an exciting hunt it was!

74854a791f7e0c83880bac9776ca4913-.jpg

Best of luck and keep safe. :D

DANG at the SNOW! :shock: What is the elevation where you are hunting?

That is just GREAT! 8) Nice bear! I'm really thinking about a spring bear hunt either 2007 or 2008.. Maybe even in IDAHO! 8)

Thanks guys.
Chuck, you gotta come up. We have some beautiful country and lot of bears.
That bear was taken at about 5500-5700 feet or their abouts, oh and regarding size about 150 lbs. which is about average for a springtime sow, around here.

That is a cool looking bear Fairchase. 8) Do you have a lot of color phase bears there????

Do you have a lot of color phase bears there????

Jim, this is the first year in the last three that I have even seen a black phase black bear. Most are some shade of red, blonde or brown.

fairchase, congrats on ur first ML Bear!!!!! :yeah:

What was gun, bullet & load?

I used a .50 cal. (Black Iced) Knight Wolverine with a 22in. barrel. Topped with a Ziess Conquest 3X9X40 held by Warn QD (low) mounts and bases.

I shot a 300 gr. Barnes Expander with a MMP HPH 24 sabot pushed by 80 grs. of FFFg 777 and lit with a good old fashioned Dynamit Nobel musket cap, in place of a messy 209 disk.

I got a complete pass through with the Expander and I'm gonna go back on Thursday to see if I can find the slug. I believe it's in the pine tree directly behind where my bear was standing. If I do find it, I'll post a photo.

Chuck, you gotta come up. We have some beautiful country and lot of bears.

I surely am seriously considering it! I have been looking at Idaho for several years. While I am WAY whitetail-minded, I do enjoy a change every now and then.. I've bear hunting in Mistatum, SK and Lake O the Bays, ON but never in the States. I'll keep ya posted! 8)

Thanks guys.
I got lucky because this bear hadn't started to rub, her coat was still really long.
But get this, three days after I took her our tempatures soared. The mountains are 85+ and the valley temps are near 100! F I have seen bears in years past with almost no hair...and they look more like a hog! :shock:

Anyway, one thing...I was really impressed with the Conquest 3X9. The redicule is the perfect thickness and in low light the glass gathered light really well.

Sweet!

I've seen your bear on another site but never tire of looking at it's gorgeous color! Congrats once again!

Latest posts

Back