Disc Elite Drops Doe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richdeerht

Reaction score
Saturday here in PA for early muzzleloader doe-only season. Hunted from our camp in Pike county. Went out and got to my spot at 7:20. Walked in very quietly on wet leaves, and the wind was in my face. Started seeing deer around 7:30, upwind from me. Scoped a large bodied deer several times to make sure there were no spikes. She was quartering towards me about 80 yards away, put her head down, and I got a real good look at the top of her head and she had no horns. Shot her at 7:40, and she ran off, but she ran with her head down and looked like she was hit. She went maybe 75 yards or so, let out a loud bleat, and dropped.
I was using a Disc Elite .50 with a Simmons 2.8-10 x Aetec scope, 200 gr TC Shockwave over 110 gr 2f 777. I hit her in the front shoulder, and the bullet came out in her ribs on the opposite side. She was well over 100 lb field dressed and was a real b^&*h to drag.

Does are alway hard to drag, not handles :) . Congrats and good eating :)

Nice shot. How does it work in PA, can you get more than one deer with a muzzleloader?
In New York in you fill your tag you can go buy another muzzleloader tag for $16 or $18. I never have bought another tag because the season is only a week long.

Mike

In PA for the early season, you need a doe tag and a muzzleloader stamp. You can shoot one doe for each doe tag. The doe tags can also be filled in regular firearm deer season. You may use a muzzleloader in regular firearm season.

Then, there's the after-Christmas flintlock season. You need the muzzleloader stamp. You can fill any unused doe tags, or you can shoot either an antlered or non-antlered deer on your regular deer tag, or both.

Note in PA, a deer with 3" spikes but not 3 points on one side, is a protected deer and may not be shot (juniors and active duty military excepted) in any season. Also note that the doe tags are for a specific WMU and may only be used in that WMU.

For more info, go to the PA Game Commission website.

Back