Did This Hog Drown

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
<hr />

Went hunting this evening. The place was flooded really bad. Ducks were swimming under the feeder and eating corn.

DSC02092.jpg

Two young buck deer passed within 20 yards of my blind. One was a yearling, the other a two year old. The yearling was born there last year. Eating corn surely has worked for him. His young antlers are much larger than those of the two year old.

Just before sunset a hog passed about 30 yards in front of my blind. Thought it was a boar. Shot hog with my .50 caliber muzzleloader using a patched round ball. The hog squealed, flopped around in the water for about 45 seconds and lay still. Dragged the fat sow about 50 yards to dry ground and brought the truck around. Hog weighed 160-175 pounds.  

That's the bullet exit. 

DSC02090.jpg

excellent job Floyd! That's the way to do it!

Thats a ton of water! Any idea on how deep it is in that area? You hunting from you metal hunting stand?

You need a canoe out there to paddle around in and hunt from!

Any idea on how deep it is in that area?

It varies from about one foot to three feet.  Under the feeder it's probably 15 inches.   That's the trap we caught the sow in. 

You hunting from you metal hunting stand?

Yes.   That hog was on the other side of a ditch with three feet of water.   i was  wearing one foot boots and took a 100 yard detour to the hog.

simply amazing! We'll have to come down during a rainy season to experience this. Its so hard to understand how flooded it gets! Just looking at the pic and knowing what it looks like, just makes me shake my head in disbelief!

Its so hard to understand how flooded it gets!
Last year West Cache Creek flooded the place at least three times.    At my blind, a feeder unit  nearly four feet off the ground  was ruined by water.   Water got inside the blind.

unreal! Thats a ton of water to fill up that place. I enjoyed it when you and I crossed it and went through there. I can still see those big hogs running across the creek when I took a shot at one when it jumped up from its bed. Great memories!

Back