Details of New 54 Barrel & Target Pics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rost495

Reaction score
If I figure this out, I"ll paste the details next

[/img]
ruler.jpg

target.jpg

Hope these show up. A background. Same old 54 Renegade I started with and got tons of help with. Only to replace the barrel with a Green Mountain. 1x28 twist 54. Had this one microslik treated by Fit 4 Duty and cerratcoated on the outside. Have been shooting for a week now with ONLY spit patches. Bore is in perfect shape. Ended up with nipple issues and got it filed down so there was no longer a .050 gap at the top. Opened the fire hole one drill size and its musket caps by CCI. Hotter flames, more volume, easy to handle. Started with real BP, wasn't totally happy. Swapped to 777 and things got much better. Then better still with a wad. But not instant ignition. Swapped back to the real BP with wads. And shooting the 535 grain No excuses bullets. Super easy to load. Found out that this barrel shoots 3-4 inches or so llow with a clean bore, IE bunch of spit patches, bore brush, brass breech plug cleaner and a lot of dry patches. So later on I shot fouled barrel groups.

You'll see the whole target. On it the low right shot is a test shot with 777 after some new powder to see if it would ignite better, nope. The low 3 shots are 80 of real 2 F. Note the low shot. Other 2 are tight. Total of 2.75 inches. Then look at the top of the target which is the other picture in a bit better closer shot mostly. it has 2 in the middle(I moved the sight so I'm hitting closer to where I want it to be) and one low- the first shot low, total of about 4.5 inches, but again the last 2 around an inch. That second group was with 90 of 2F. Last group is 100 of 2F. its the far 2 left shots and the far right shot for a group of 1.75 inches.(center to center and not do with a caliper) Weighed one more set thats not on these pics, 110 of 2F. It hit same place, I called one shot a tad left and it was a total of 3 inches wide, about 1 inch tall and had 2 around 1.125 inches plus the called left hand shot.

I'm not overly thrilled, was/am still hoping to see 1 inch groups but thats probably not realistic.

Other data, all shot at 100 yards, 6 oclock hold. Peep rear, post(square not round) front. Off bags since I'm still tweaking.
1 spit patch between shots. CCI Musket caps. Weighed charges, not volume(about 5 grains difference between measure and scale but found I'm amazingly accurate with the measure. usually not off more than a grain or so max) Dump charge, thump barrel at nipple with heal of hand. Seat wad, push bullet in, seat with firm pressure, relieve, reseat again, pull rod, wipe any lube off muzzle.

Can't say enough about microslik and now i know it was not the treatment that had the other barrel not shooting well. And the cerracoat is looking super so far.

Very pleased with the no excuses bullets also. The expand to double the size in my hard dirt impact area. Must seal well on ignition.

Anyone want to venture where I haev to stop on powder? I'll shoot 120 on Sunday and maybe more until I start to see groups open up some more. Right now I could shoot 90-95-100 and be totally happy but I'm snoopy....

Opinions to any of it welcome as are what am I doing wrong or right with loading etc....

Jeff

PS update, 80 was giving 1020, 100 giving 1155, 120 giving 1250 fps as I recall, I've gone back to 100 and am starting shooting at elk cardboard cutout only off the bench to verify zero's and then going to field positions till the hunt.
[/img]

Latest posts

Back