Detachable scope mount

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a detachable scope mount and had it go back exactly to zero? I think being able to quickly pull my scope off and remount at perfect zero would be a great feature for cleaning my barrel.

I would like the ability to pull my barrel, remove my scope, and go to town with some hot soapy water to get all the powder residue out with out worry of banging my scope around or getting dirty water on it.

Has this been done successfully? I would imagine you get what you pay for with these mounts.

True milspec picatinny rings and rail. Made from 7075 or good steel. Should be no problem going back on very close to zero. Thats a good $100+ for rings and rail could run as much as $160.

What rifle?

Be okay as long as you're not dunking your barrel in a bucket too deep.

I wouldn't want water getting between the barrel and that mount.

Can you use a hose on the nipple and just keep the barrel out of the bucket?

What barrel/rifle?

It's a CVA Accura, water in between the mount and the barrel was also a concern for me. So maybe I should avoid the dunking of the breach end regardless.

I was hoping to end up with a dunkable barrel detatched from everything I could scrub every inch of with hot soapy water then blow dry with compressed air.

There are no higher end CVA rails that im aware of other than the one Hankins makes for the Scout which will be short on the breech end but longer on the muzzle end. Contessa sells a steel rail for Scouts but good luck finding a USA source for it.

EGW rail is made from extruded 6061 and the cross slots are not even fully supported. They cut out the middle which defeats the purpose of the newer NATO STANAG spec for rails. EGW does not offer a HD model in 7075 or steel.

Really would not trust this one for removing rings alot and expecting it to return to zero. Contessa Light Weight rings will help a little because they use 2 slots per ring and cover more area.
https://www.egwguns.com/cva-centerfire-accura-v2-picatinny-rail-0-moa
Contessa light weights are excellent rings if you cant spend $100+ on the other options. They are very very tough rings but a little on the tall side.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/contessa-light-picatinny-rings.html

Last edited:
There are no higher end CVA rails that im aware of other than the one Hankins makes for the Scout which will be short on the breech end but longer on the muzzle end. Contessa sells a steel rail for Scouts but good luck finding a USA source for it.

EGW rail is made from extruded 6061 and the cross slots are not even fully supported. They cut out the middle which defeats the purpose of the newer NATO STANAG spec for rails. EGW does not offer a HD model in 7075 or steel.

what do you think of this option? They are claiming 7000 series aluminum

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/cva-picatinny-rail/

Have been using Weaver rings and bases for years doing exactly what you mentioned you want to do. Never a problem.

Have a set of Warne detachable that I used for years on a Knight MK 85 for ease of cleaning. Always went back to zero. It accounted for a ton of deer with no issues.

Plus 1 on the Warnes. I also use the peep rib picatinny base. Never had a issue with return to zero. Just be sure to keep scope slid foward when tightening.

Warnes will greatly limit your ability to move a scope forward or back. You only have to slots for ring placement. On a Knight i can atleast choose which set of rear holes for the rear base.....Cant do that with the CVA.

There really is no reason to flush out a modern barrel with water, especially with nitrate.
Just use a patch soaked in solvent or citrus cleaner, depending on which powder used. Brush and repeat until clear, a good oil patch and done.

I had no problem mounting and adjusting a Bushnell elite 2x7 on my Omega. It has been on there for many years. I love the fact I can remove the scope for cleaning.

I had no problem mounting and adjusting a Bushnell elite 2x7 on my Omega
Yeah i can use them on my Knight with a Redfield 2-7x32 but that wont help a guy with an Acurra V1 or V2 either. Space between rings, mounting lengths on scope, eye relief of scope ect ect ect vary greatly from one application to the next. Compound that with a QRBP that forces base holes even further towards the muzzle end.

The one size fits all solution to those variables is a..........picatinny rail that is long enough.

I have a Leupold mounting system on my Encore and T/C Gorilla mounts on my CVA’s and both of the systems returned to the zero every season. I usually do preseason check for zero. Remove the scopes for cleaning. Use the rifle for hunting season and clean again. I have have never had to adjust the scopes. Looking at the other responses on this you should be fine with whatever you go with.

I use Leupold QR rings and bases on my Rem. 700 ML, easy on, easy off, with accurate return to zero. I apply a little WD-40 between the scope mount bases and action if I think I got any water in there.

Latest posts

Back