Denver Hawken by Doc White

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Most folks don’t know that Sam Hawken spent a few years of the last part of his life in Denver after he sold out of the St Louis shop to Gemmer. He made a few rifles while he was there. Styles had changed by then, the fur trade was done with, the buffalo were pretty well wiped out but the Denver crowd still enjoyed shooting, target as well as hunting. So here is a S. Hawken Denver Sporting-Target Rifle- My conception of a Sam Hawken made Sporting-Target rifle done Denver style, usable either in the field or for target competition.

SHawkenDenverFullRight.jpg

HawkenDenverFullLeft.jpg

Beautiful 4A maple perch-belly stock (which was the style by then), carved from the plank, Colerain 1″ x 36″ 50 caliber octagon barrel for patched round ball fitted with English Manton style hook breeching including separate short tang, best quality English imported percussion lock with drip bar to fit, but western style hammer, not yet rust antique blued. Long bar pop-up adjustable rear sight for longer range shooting mounted on a short breech rail, hooded target sight, which was perfectly acceptable on Denver style rifles. English style fore-end with brass cap, 3/8th” ramrod with double brass end tapped for accessories. This s a GRRW Collector’s Ass’n rifle # H- 25, also carries my GBW cipher.

Doc White

At our age Pete what isn't heavy anymore ? My NW trade gun isn't even a good walking stick these days ...... crap. :confused:

Yes, Buck. So true. I've had to go to a light inline and since my vision is horrible I have to put a scope on it too. It's killing me but it's better than not hunting.

I've felt for a long while that the "Denver Hawken" styling was influenced by the many immigrants from Germany and nearby areas who came to the Denver areas. The "perch belly" on the buttstock, and deeply curved butt plate are examples of this influence.

The Denver area was a hotbed of Schuetzen rifle shooting, including by a fellow named Adolf Kuhrs. The family later Anglicized the spelling to Coors. The Coors Collection of Schuetzen rifles is amazing, and sometimes travels to NRA conventions. See it if you can!

Back