Deer loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txcookie

Reaction score
What your go to ML loads

I am not an expert but has had some great succes with tip 7 pellets and Hornady sst 250 grains with the low drag sabots. Dont know if its a popular combo or what its designed for (penetration vs massive damge), but the load is very accurate out of my encore and has taken 2 deer for me. What do you guys use or recomend.

I have stacked up a good amount of deer with the 250 grain SST, they often shoot very well. In most instances I like to use a 'crush rib' sabot from Harvester Muzzleloading. The supplied sabot with the SST fits O.K. In my Knights, maybe just a tad tight at times.

I have used bullets from home cast full bore conicals, cast pistol bullets held in a sabot, and a variety of commercial bullets. This has been for hunting where I've bagged deer. My cast pistol bullets would often just pencil on through. That's not the best unless you are right in the vitals.

As of late I often just use a Hornady XTP pistol bullet, .452(250 grn) with 50 cal and .400(200 grn) with my 45 cal. These bullets are pushed faster than normal handgun velocities, 2200+ in my 45's. I normally don't try for hard bone, they have shot and done excellent on game.

I have tried Barnes, they've done well, but I'm content with the more economical XTP.

That exact load is scary accurate for me in my TC Impact. But I have one deer that was a bang-flop and another that was a chip shot. Deer hit, down, back up and run off. Lost. No blood. I'm moving onto Barnes TEZ this year.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txcookie said:
I wonder if I could use hornady FTX for their lever rifles?

I think I have a box of those on the shelf, .452". I have loaded them for my 45 Colt handgun. Yes, as long as you use the appropriate sabot they will load just fine. As far as performance on game I haven't got that far with them.

Another bullet that I had thought about using is a 265 grain 'hardcast', again usually for a 45 cal handgun. It's got the WFN and doesn't expand at all, the wide nose is it's 'mushrooming' effect. They do penetrate like no tomorrow.

Just another reason I like to buy sabots separately, then use the bullet of your choosing. The choices are almost endless, though some are better than others.

Latest posts

Back