Deer grunts or doe bleats

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funman

Reaction score
I am just curious if any of you use doe bleats or buck grunts to lure in a buck. I have never brought one in and some say they dont work. Yesterday a friend was doing the doe bleat in the stand and after about thirty minutes we both thought we heard a buck grunt. If you do use them what cycle do you use example once every 10 minutes.

I use the can for my doe bleets, and I have a few different buck calls. I have to say tho, that I have nrver had any luck using them. I have used the HHS buck grunt for a long time, I think that one sounds the best. I also have the Buck growl, and the buck roar.

I forgot to mention, that I try to limit my calls to once every half hour or so. I think they are best used right around the rut.

I use them. Mostly to stop a deer walking past. If you buck grunt at them they will normally stop and look for the noise. My friend I used to hunt with had a different call, when they walked past he would say in a nice clear voice, excuse me.. he claimed that stopped them as well as his buck grunt.

I did call in a small buck with a buck grunt once. It was out about 100 yards so I let out three grunts and it turned and started to walk towards me. The second time I grunted it wheeled and took off.

I once had six deer in front of my blind. All does. I did not want to shoot a doe, so I started to play with the deer calls I had. Most of them had little to no effect on them. One fawn actually stopped eating and looked at me, other then that the adult does really could have cared less.

A grunt call when used in conjuction with a set of rattling horns will bring in a buck just before the rut is in full swing.

thanks for the advice i have tried everthing except the rattling horns with the grunt. Its hard to tell when the rut is in full swing here in flordia. i will try it

I've called in a lot of bucks since I started using grunt calls in 1996. I have several racks (and mounted heads) that I attribute to using the grunt call. It works best during the rut.

I've never used a doe bleat. Rattling has never called in a buck for me, but I believe in the grunt call.

IF all conditions are right, the bleat, grunt, rattling and snort wheeze can and will bring deer in to investigate.

here in GA we never seem o have super strong rut and it is very very rare to have a great response to any of the calls. however I have had it work a few times over the years.

BUT in the midwest during the rut or just before or after it is almost a daily basis that bucks will respond to calling. have killed a couple that came to calling

I use the can for bleats and a primos grunt. I almost always mix the 2 together while using them....meaning bleat, grunt grunt, bleat, grunt grunt, bleat etc

the only time any of these were effective for me was this year in the early doe-only season. i was using a fawn bleat and an old doe came running in.

In my sticky post(Public land hunting success), the last two bucks were called in during the peak and end of the rut time periods. I use a Knight and Hale rattle bag(compact and sound carries further than horns), the Primos CAN and the MAD Growl call.

Working the rattle bag/w aggressive buck growls and grunts really brings the big bucks in. Subordinate and small bucks typically do not respond due to my aggressive calling technique. To date I have called in at least a half dozen large bucks and been able to harvest three of those.

Of course using the GPS and maps along w/leg work gets you in the right spots for this to work best.

calls

I use em all. Horns, doe bleat, buck grunt, snort wheeze. Every 20 minutes or so . Learn to do the do the Doe bleat and the buck grunt with your voice. Voice Beats the hell out of a can for a doe bleat. It will absolutly amaze you after you gain confidence as to what you can bring in. The doe bleat is probably the one I use the most as it is the least agressive. It brings in does and bucks during the rut and the bucks follow the does in. All calls have a right time and place to use them. Grunts can many times spook off a small buck or doe if she is not interested. Listen to actual deer voice tapes and practice once you learn how you will be amazed. Shut up once you got em coming unless you want to get picked off or wait till their heads are turned. They have an amazing ability to locate your position exactly.
Wayles

calls

Dont't know nothin about florida. But It works in Western Nebrasks, Oklahoma and MO.
Wayles

grunt

I go one further, I use doe bleat, MAD growler and a Renzo Doe decoy. I put a alittle estrous on a white cloth and stick it in the tail for a litlle moveent and scant and boy did I draw the bcks. I am told we only see 50% of the bucks in repsonse to a rut calling sequence, I think that MAD growler and decoy brought out the bigger ones.

I have killed quite a few whitetails and brought in enough muleys that came in to a grunt tube. I can not say the bleat has done anything for me other than bring in coyotes mid summer when the fawns are being born. Rattling has done nothing for me.

Thanks everyone for the tips, i called one in the other day just using the grunt. He popped up right beside me looking for something and i had the opportunity to shoot him. I did not take long after i did some grunt calls. Then yesterday i was calling in does, they were making grunt noises back and trying to find where the noise came from. They eventually caught wind of me but they were 10 yards away from me, we can not shoot does or i would have had her easy. Thanks again for all the advice

Latest posts

Back