Deer Cart

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forrest-hunter

Reaction score
Has anyone used a deer cart to pull deer out when it is very muddy - recommendations

My friend had one of them wheeled deer carts and I was with him when he tried to get one out of a bog marsh. It was a night mare. I actually think an Otter Sled would have worked better. It would have stayed up on the top of the bog and in the mud and wet spots, floated over instead of sinking in. I have used an Otter Sled to get cedar out of the back marsh in the winter when there is snow and it worked fine. But unless you get a big one, a large deer would really over flow the small one I got for ice fishing.

I should qualify something ... the mud we had was sinking mud and mud bogs. It you're talking just a muddy road that you're not sinking up past your ankles in, the cart might work. It might be a bear to roll though. Maybe someone has first hand experience with just what you're after. I also found that my tree stand harness with the shoulder straps, and waist belt, works great for pulling deer and Otter Sleds.

Not much beats an ATV where allowed. A handful of years ago my son shot a good sized deer that ended up in a very steep gully, just him and I. Even after gutting we had a heck of a time getting that deer out of the very steep gully and then up the hill.

After that trip I bought a 2000 lb strapped winch of sorts, portable. A friend was hunting on a farm in IL solo, late season anterless. He bagged two deer and then had a tough time getting them in the truck bed. He rigged up a system with what he had.

Just a few examples that shows one needs to plan for game retrieval and then loading up. Having two additional buddies hunting nearby isn't always an option.

Got a 4 wheeler for when/where I can use it. Made a cart for use in areas where it is dry and not allowed to use the machine and have a sled for when it is muddy or snow on the ground. Prepared! 8)

When I used to hunt in the Catskill mountains here in NY I wore out 2 of the roll up type Deer sleds from Cabela's. They roll up and are very light so it was easy to carry. Rocks can be a bit hard on them but man they make for an easy drag in the snow, deer might pass you an a hill. :lol:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/deer-sle ... eer%2Bsled

Latest posts

Back