CVA & Traditions Opinions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to decide between the two Firestick options, CVA and Traditions. Both look very capable, well designed and accurate. Would like the opinions of some of you out there who may own either of these and what you feel the pros and cons of your respective rifle is. Comments are appreciated...

Its an interesting concept, but what I don't like about it is that it doesn't allow you to fine tune your load for a particular bullet, meaning you cannot go up or down in charge weights. If thats not a problem for you then all is good. I like to fine tune things with my ML's.

I'm pretty sure CVA will get the issues with welds taken care of.

I've shot the Crossfire and I'll be honest, it changed my opinion of the system. I shot one that Barry had at Friendship and it was remarkably accurate. Single hole accurate quite frankly.
I would go with CVA over Traditions myself. Traditions is known for having about the worst CS in the industry.
The system itself is pretty darn safe, almost fool proof. You can't double charge the system. You could load two bullets and likely end up with a bulged barrel, but with a witness mark, that SHOULD prevent that. So in all, the system is safer.

CVA has a recall on some of their crossfires, bad welds. The traditions seems to get good reviews.
Traditions had a one year patent right on the Firestick system before another company could start to manufacture one, so they had some time to work out the bugs. I'm partial to CVA's because I own an accura mountain rifle that I'm very happy with. We'll see where things stand in the summer when I'm ready to buy one

I don't have a firestick weapon. But recently picked the Cva optima lr v2 over the traditions strikerfire vapr. If I could go back I'd pick the Traditions. Having the faster twist barrel on the traditions being the main reason. Either company has their own issues. I don't buy based on CS unless it's a car tbh. Overall I doubt you'll be disappointed in either as both have good reviews.

Is this your first muzzy?

I don't have a firestick weapon. But recently picked the Cva optima lr v2 over the traditions strikerfire vapr. If I could go back I'd pick the Traditions. Having the faster twist barrel on the traditions being the main reason. Either company has their own issues. I don't buy based on CS unless it's a car tbh. Overall I doubt you'll be disappointed in either as both have good reviews.

Is this your first muzzy?
No. I have a CVA accura mountain rifle that shoots Hornady ftx boredriver bullets really well, very happy with it. Looking to get my wife a Firestick rifle for ease of use, really like the all around concept of it. Just on the fence whether to go with CVA or traditions

Not to crap on your party Michigan, but I'd get her a Wolf since you are already shooting components in the Accura.

No. I have a CVA accura mountain rifle that shoots Hornady ftx boredriver bullets really well, very happy with it. Looking to get my wife a Firestick rifle for ease of use, really like the all around concept of it. Just on the fence whether to go with CVA or traditions

It seems 90% of those that have tried the bore drivers say they shoot well. Glad you have found a projectile that works for you. đź‘Ť

Back