CVA To Offer “BLACKHORN QR BREECH PLUG

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sootbelcher

Reaction score
got this today from CVA

CVA To Offer “BLACKHORN QR BREECH PLUG”

CVA has announced that it will soon introduce a new version of its popular Quick Release Breech Plug -- or QRBP. Unlike the original QRBP design, which was constructed for optimal performance with pelletized propellants, the new “Blackhorn QR Breech Plug” is specifically designed for use with BLACKHORN™ and other loose powder muzzleloading propellants. “By offering QR plugs that are optimal for whichever type of propellant the shooter chooses to use, either pelletized or loose, we will keep everyone happy with the performance of their CVA gun,” said Dudley McGarity, CEO of Blackpowder Products Inc., the owner of the CVA brand.

Black Horn QRBPCVA has made big news over the past couple of years with its patent pending Quick Release Breech Plug (QRBP) system. The CVA QRBP is unique in that it is the only muzzleloading breech plug design that is easily removable by hand after shooting the gun – even numerous times. The original QRBP, which is provided standard with each gun sold, has a flat face and very small flash hole. When using pellets, this design makes the crushing of the pellets less likely and prevents too much fire (and pressure) from reaching the charge – both of which can lead to accuracy problems.

“Some shooters reported that they were experiencing ignition delays when using Blackhorn in CVA guns equipped with the QRBP, and it became evident to us that what was the best design for pelletized propellants was not necessarily the best design for loose propellants,” McGarity explained. “Western Powders, Inc., the manufacturers of Blackhorn, had received similar complaints, and the guys there jumped right on the problem and modified an original QRBP, giving it a concave face and a larger flash hole, and the result was flawless performance with the Blackhorn powder. Then, Western provided the design drawings to CVA so that we could build the new plugs and offer them to our customers. Due to Western Powders’ great efforts in the new plug design, we started calling it the “Blackhorn breech plug” and we ended up carrying the name over to the actual product.”

CVA’s new “BLACKHORN QR BREECH PLUG” will be available sometime in June through CVA retailers and through www.cva.com.Western Powders will also offer the plug to its customers.
The part numbers are AC1610BH for the Apex and AC1611BH for the Accura V2, Optima, and Wolf.

Excellent, this will make the BH209 shooters very happy! A big plus is that Western Powders designed it their way to work with the powder they make.

They finally caught up with the 10 year old Omega.

Oh wait! It comes free with the Omega.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :clown:

:scratch: :scratch:

I wonder if CVA is going to make the modified plug for my ACCURA 209 MAGNUM :?: :?: :?:

I heard the same thing. However it will be available in June and not be standard but an additional product customers will have to buy.

Yup, I got the same thing. You have to admit at least they admitted there was a problem and they went to find a solution.

If you have a plug that won't shoot BH-209, get a hold of ( ronlaughlin ) and he might be able to fit the problem. The plug Ron made for my OPTIMA PRO works great shooting BH-209. :D

Ron put a vent liner in my Apex breech plug. He does excellent work and it performed flawlessly as advertised. I wonder how Western's breech will differ from Ron's modifications?

Latest posts

Back