CVA Grey Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ran across this on GB the other at an opening bid I couldn't resist, and ended up the new owner. This will be my 2nd .54 cal., but my first traditional sidelock muzzleloader. Does anyone have any personal experience with a CVA Grey Wolf .54?

Attachments

• pix961791455.jpg
    pix961791455.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
It looks very much like the CVA Bobcat.
I have a CVA Missouri, 54. About the only difference is that mine has a wooden stock.
Mine shoots pretty good with the .530 ball, .010 cotton patch over 80 grains [V] of Triple 7 2f.
Or 70 grains [V] of 3f Swiss black powder.
There are a couple offerings for a conical bullet for the 54, which are pretty heavy, 400 + grains.
With that synthetic stock, I would imagine that a conical bullet would be less than comfortable to be on the back end of.
I've read where some guys have removed the butt plate and packed up the hollow of the stock with a few lead fishing sinkers to add a bit of weight to the stock.
Good luck with the new rig.

Thanks for the info. If I buy one with a wooden stock, a Missouri is probably what I would look for, I like the look of them. Also like the Lyman Deerstalker a lot. Got this one for a pretty good price, and it gives me a second. 54. I have 3 different types of conicals to try I it from 385 gr to 425 grain, I'm sure it will kick like a mule. Just before my profile picture was taken, I had just knocked down those 2 birds with my Knight TK2000. Had her loaded with 100 grains of 777 and 2 Oz #4. Look close enough, you might see the fat lip it cost me.

Lol, I bet that smart a bit.
Last night I ordered a pack of Powerbelt Aero Tip "copper" 348 grain, 54 caliber bullets to try out in the Missouri.
I'll see how they do on paper.
I always liked the look of the Lyman Deerstalker. From what I've read, they are no longer being produced.

Lol, I bet that smart a bit.
Last night I ordered a pack of Powerbelt Aero Tip "copper" 348 grain, 54 caliber bullets to try out in the Missouri.
I'll see how they do on paper.
I always liked the look of the Lyman Deerstalker. From what I've read, they are no longer being produced
It did smart a bit, but well worth it to bag my first geese with a muzzy. I just got a card of powerbelts in .54 myself. Thought I'd try them in my Hunterbolt. Hard to beat the accuracy of those powerbelts in anything I own.

It did smart a bit, but well worth it to bag my first geese with a muzzy. I just got a card of powerbelts in .54 myself. Thought I'd try them in my Hunterbolt. Hard to beat the accuracy of those powerbelts in anything I own.
I bought some 50 caliber hollow points last year at Walmart. They were marked down to about 8 bucks a pack.
I agree, they were very accurate out of my Traditions Deerhunter rifle. I didn't use them for hunting though.

I bought some 50 caliber hollow points last year at Walmart. They were marked down to about 8 bucks a pack.
I agree, they were very accurate out of my Traditions Deerhunter rifle. I didn't use them for hunting though.
Many guys won't. As for me, they are all I've ever taken deer with while hunting with a muzzy. Other than some fragmentation, I've never had an issue myself. Last 5 deer have all fallen within eyeshot, but one, and all left plentiful blood trail. This year I've got my favorite .50 cal deer rife sighted in with Bore Drivers. They seem to be just as consistant as powerbelts, we will have to see what the deer think of them. Unfortunately our options are few with these .54s.

Many guys won't. As for me, they are all I've ever taken deer with while hunting with a muzzy. Other than some fragmentation, I've never had an issue myself. Last 5 deer have all fallen within eyeshot, but one, and all left plentiful blood trail. This year I've got my favorite .50 cal deer rife sighted in with Bore Drivers. They seem to be just as consistant as powerbelts, we will have to see what the deer think of them. Unfortunately our options are few with these .54s.
That's interesting. From what I've read, if you don't drive them too fast, they're supposed to be a pretty decent bullet for deer.
Like you said, for the 54, there aren't a lot of choices in conical bullets. I know for myself that I don't want to shoot anything 400 grain +. Too punishing on my old shoulder.

That's interesting. From what I've read, if you don't drive them too fast, they're supposed to be a pretty decent bullet for deer.
Like you said, for the 54, there aren't a lot of choices in conical bullets. I know for myself that I don't want to shoot anything 400 grain +. Too punishing on my old shoulder.
Just got back from the range with both .54s. The Grey Wolf packed a pretty good wallup with 70 gr ffg and a 375 gr cva Deer slayers, just as you said. First shot 6 inches low. Realized I wasn't using the rear sight blade right so I hit it with a damp and then dry patch, and tried again. Next shot touching the bull at 50 yds. Just got that rifle tonight, doesn't look like it had ever been shot. It's a good one I think. Also shot the Hunterbolt .54 with 90 gr ffg and 345 gr powerbelts. Took one shot which was 4 inches low and right, readjusted scope then put 3 in a 2 inch group right beside the bull. Also a damp and a dry patch between those shots. I think it likes the powerbelts just fine.

If you have a 1/16" or 1/8" round chainsaw file, you can open up the notch of the rear sight just a bit. It will give you a better sight picture. You can see on both sides of the blade front sight.
I've done this for nearly all of my rifles. Helps my old eyes to see the target better.

That's a good tip. This was partially due to my eyesight as well. I can see the front sight clearly, back sight is a blur. I use scopes on all my inlines, so this is something I'm going to have to address if I were going to hunt with it.

I ran across this on GB the other at an opening bid I couldn't resist, and ended up the new owner. This will be my 2nd .54 cal., but my first traditional sidelock muzzleloader. Does anyone have any personal experience with a CVA Grey Wolf .54?
I had one of these for as my first muzzleloader. I sold it and ended up buying a knight in a blister pack will a starter kit. Anyway, I’d like to have that Gray Wolf back. It certainly was very accurate.

It looks very much like the CVA Bobcat.
I have a CVA Missouri, 54. About the only difference is that mine has a wooden stock.
Mine shoots pretty good with the .530 ball, .010 cotton patch over 80 grains [V] of Triple 7 2f.
Or 70 grains [V] of 3f Swiss black powder.
There are a couple offerings for a conical bullet for the 54, which are pretty heavy, 400 + grains.
With that synthetic stock, I would imagine that a conical bullet wrd sho /ould be less than comfortable to be on the back end of.
I've read where some guys have removed the butt plate and packed up the hollow of the stock with a few lead fishing sinkers to add a bit of weight to the stock.
Good luck with the new rig.
Air soft balls Found at Harbor Freight/and bird shot, this will make distribution and weight really adjustable
and then dump the stock loaded as stated put the 44 mag or the 20 ga barrel back on Really makes it handi !!From a 45/70 80 gr /3F OE
12 LB to a maybe 6LB depending on barrel/Ed

Last edited:
I have a Lynx, same gun I think with camo stock instead of black. Mine shoots the .54 Maxis from Dixie fairly well with just 60gr 3F real black, and it isn't too bad on the shoulder. Certainly deer capable accuracy wise up at 90gr 3F real black, but they won't be any deader than 60gr and I don't need extra range 'cause I can't see well enough with irons anymore...

Back