Warming up for early deer season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewistt

Reaction score
Got the Cabelas .50 Sporterized Carbine out today. Shot a bit with 90gr. 777 and 385gr. Great Plains. Very accurate and powerful. Went to a Hornady XTP 240gr sabot over 100gr. 777. 2'' higher at 50 yards, same right to left. Nice, accurate load, but this is my conical rifle. Does not shoot PRB great - okay, but not great, but I have not worked with them enough to really tweak it. The Great Plains was 1" high at 50, and on at 90. The rifle has a Lyman 57, and globe front. Shoots real good, and does whack ya in the cheek good! Nice, handy rifle, I usually use this out of a tree stand, or when I am walking a lot.

have you tried .018 pillow ticking patches? My dads cabelas hawken is a great shooter with PRB.

Hven't tried much - used .015 patches, and .495 RB. fit good, just not at same point of impact as the other stuff. This is a carbine, don't know if that makes much difference, but my two Cabelas rifles, .50 and .54, shoot PRB very well. Mainly, I just didn't spend much time with them. The conical shot so well, there was no need to use much else.

Them little carbines are a nice walking rifle. I have a couple of them. Good luck in the season coming up.

Latest posts

Back