Cutting Edge Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus

Reaction score
Since Im having a tough time locating and purchasing Barnes MZ Expander, .50 cal. 300 grain muzzleloading, Ive located an interesting bullet and wondering if any of you guys have had any luck with Cutting Edge Bullets .45x50 cal. MZL raptor 300 grain bullets. If so, how are they vs. Barnes MZ Expander? Im reading many good things of them but they are pricy as well.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/500-300gr-mzl-raptor

So what you are saying.... No Good or not as good as Barnes?

Not at all. Control fracturing works well. Just dont expect them to expand. The petals shear off and the base punches thru. Those petals create additional wound channels but dont normally go real far.

Not at all. Control fracturing works well. Just dont expect them to expand. The petals shear off and the base punches thru. Those petals create additional wound channels but dont normally go real far.

Thanks for the video and info. What do you think about the Federal BOR Lock .270 grain Copper MZ?

I shoot the 250 grain Maximus bullet in my Accura and have taken several deer with it and had excellent results. I use the green crush rib sabot and have no complaints.

Look at Ron’s testing, I sent him a couple in 240 grains 40 cal Maximus.I have killed with this bullet in my knight ultra lite 45, pretty much like the video, and I’m shooting 90 grains 777 fff.one thing ,over 90 grains and accuracy falls off in my gun

Thanks for the video and info. What do you think about the Federal BOR Lock .270 grain Copper MZ?
Depends on what you are hunting. I think for deer sized animals the 270 copper would work well. For an elk I want something with a little more umph. That is why I am shooting the 350 BOR lock. Has a good track record for terminal performance on large animals

Unless you are shooting beyond 200 yards the bullet drop isnt that much of a factor. AND if you are shooting further than 200, you have to worry about the copper being too slow to open up.

If you are a fan of the MZ switch to the TMZ or my person favorite the TEZ if you are able to get ahold of them ...they seem to be more widely available nowadays than the MZs

Latest posts

Back