Could this be true?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend is a long time big game hunter on many continents. He often used a very good double rifle in 9.3x74R. Powerful cartridge.

He was hunting with a friend and they saw a bull elk on a ridge. His rangefinder showed he was about 1500 yards. The wind was calm. He sighted his scope to compensate for the drop. His friend was watching the elk with a powerful spotting scope.

He fired, and this is what I am part of asking, the friend saw the vapor trail of the round, clearing the elk just above his back. Could you see a vapor trail?

Anyhow he killed the elk with his next round.

Possibly true or?

I’ve got a MGM 9.3x74r Encore barrel and have shot gongs at 500 yards a bunch, and yes, you can definitely see the “vapor trail” and bullet impact. It’s one of my favorite rounds to load for and shoot, and it’s a heck of a pig caliber. :lewis:
IMG_1848.jpeg

Here’s the bullet impact caught on game cam.
PICT1527.jpeg

When I shot CF metallic silhouette we shot in pairs. One would spot while the other shot. When you're directly behind the shooter the air disruption (vapor trail) is easily seen.
From watching the vapor trail we would inform the shooter where the shot went.

Last edited:
Ask a Marine that has gone through S/S School about being the Spotter on 600 yard Walkers.
Spotter marks in the Record Book where he believes the round went before the target comes back
up from the pit with the spotter disk in it.
So yes, even when the Bermuda High was making itself known. The Vapor Trails were just shorter.

I’ve got a MGM 9.3x74r Encore barrel and have shot gongs at 500 yards a bunch, and yes, you can definitely see the “vapor trail” and bullet impact. It’s one of my favorite rounds to load for and shoot, and it’s a heck of a pig caliber. :lewis:
View attachment 43013

View attachment 43014
Nice pig !

View attachment 43013

View attachment 43014
Love that rifle !

Really really really really high, and wish that they had a 375 CheyTac.
For those, like me, about 375 CheyTac

"The .375 CheyTac is a rifle cartridge designed for long-range shooting, up to two miles. It has a 64-inch length, weighs more than 70 pounds, and uses 350gr solid bullets at approximately 3250 fps. It is primarily used by military and law enforcement snipers, as well as by long-range shooting enthusiasts and competitors."

Back