Could the breech plug be.........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer

Reaction score
:( :( :(
A good friend of mine just got involved in MLing and bought a TC TRIUMP Speed Breech. Beautifull looking rifle but nothing but trouble. For two weeks now we have been shooting at the range and nothing but trouble. The breech plug gets fouled up so bad after a few shots that the primers dont even set of the powder charge. I think he's using t7 power pellets and primers. I had him clean everything up and gave him some Remington Kleanbore primers and the rifle never missed fired or had a hang fired. His buddy bought the same everything and fires away with no problems with anything. Any and all opinions will be helpfull. Thanks to all that reply.
GOOD HUNTIN' THIS SEASON :!: :!:

T/C Triumph

Hey, thanks for the post. I also tried Trip 7 powder with Win 209 primers and same problem. The breech plug gets very fouled even on the outside where the primer goes. I'm also getting so bad delays in firing. The primer will go off and just as I'm about to give up the gun fires. In most cases it wont fire at all, but the delay happens frequently as well. I bought the Triumph brand new and it's only the second time using it. I sent a detailed email to T/C about this problem and looking forward to their reply. When I called them last week a woman suggested I use Blackhorn powder. I'll try this, but there is definately something wrong here since my good friend has the identical rifle and has none of these issues whatsoever using the exact same shot recipe. Any thoughts?

:D :D :D

First off WELCOME to a great place to hang out and learn, laugh and get allot of free info along with great stories and photos. :!: :!: :!: :!:
I sure hope T/C gets back to you concerning your problem. As you can see I posted this in hopes someone could help but I guess all the old time guru's are out bow hunting and sooner or later you'll get some opinions.
Good luck S/F100 and keep all of us informed as to what T/C has to say.
Glad you finally made it here :!: :!: :!:

T/C Triumph Problems

Thanks HS,

Look forward to some good chat. I hope someone can help me out with my Triumph. Nothing back from T/C yet.

I can get as many as a doz. shots w/o cleaning breech plug. But I found that cleaning the flash channel every 6 shots helps to eliminate hangs, and blowback. An 1/8" drill bit will fit the Encore an Omega, not sure on the Tri. but probably. Work the bit by hand then give it a quick blow. Fire off a primer if you feel the need.

If your getting blow back clean the plug an retape with teflon tape.

Do you have your ramrod marked? You need to make sure your getting proper seating each time. Your sabot may be getting hung up on the crud ring, creating a short gap between sabot an powder.

Swab barrel between each shot

T/C Triumph Problems

Thank you. I swab the barrel with a wet patch then a dry after every shot. The rod is marked and it seats well. My friend bought the same gun as me at the same time and has none of these issues. I can't shoot more than 3 or 4 shots and the gun becomes useless. I have to take out the entire breech plug, soak it and clean it which will give me another 3-4 shots before having the same problem again. My friend also put his breech plug in my gun and it started fouling his as well. The outside of the breech plug gets completely black where I seat the primer. I just bought another breech plug hoping it will do the trick, but my suspician is my Triumph is a lemon.

II'll try the drill bit, but in my opinion a new gun should not have these problems. My friend gave me a Remington Kleenbore primer and it would fire, but because I did not consistantly use those primers I don't know if it was the primer or the fact it was the 3rd or 4th attempt to shoot the same load.

It sounds like a malfunction or faulty breech plug, but I don't have your ever have shot your model rifle. I would call T/C and talk to their tech. He might have a solution or just replace the breech plug.

T/C Triumph Problem

Thank you. I bought a new breech plug and will try it this weekend. I have an email into T/C and spoke to them on Friday. The tech on Friday told me to try buckhorn 209 powder and CCI primers. She was not too helpful to be honest. I still can't believe how much fouling there is on the outside of the breechplug between the hammer and breech plug.

From reading your thread, you already have determed it is a crudy plug causing the problem. I read some complants as yours on the t-7 primers. Never tring them I really can't comment on them, just speculate. I think any primer will get your t-7 lit. You might just have to clean your plug more often then you would with other primers. I started using Win. W209. They are not the hottest primer, but the are the longest one available. Thus making a better seal in my lock-up.
Scrapeing the carbon out of the flash hole with the bit more often would be an improvement.

Pull your plug right now an give it a try an see what comes out. Even tho you think it's clean an doesn't need it, I think you will be surprized on what comes out. Do it dry unless you can't get the bit in at all. Then soak an scrape. Strip back a wire bread wrapper to poke thru the little hole.

T/C Triumph Problems

Thank you. I'll give it a try. The primers I am currently using are the Winchester 209 primers for muzzel loaders. I'm going to give all this a try. The Remington Kleenbore fired every time. At first I thought it was the pellets, but my friend shoots the same gun and same pellets with no issues. I spend most of my time at the range cleaning and trying to get the gun to fire. What is really scary is when the primer goes off and the gun fires about 1-2 seconds later. Dangerous in my opinion.

Yours may have draw some moister. Work your way into loose. You'll be happier, IMO.

Thanks. I started using triple 7 loose powder...same issue. There was a T/C sales rep at the range with me this weekend and he could not figure it out either. So far I've been on hold with T/C about 20 minutes......it's my 4th call. I had to hang up a few times because of work issues. I've been on hold at least 10-20 minutes for each of the 4 calls and have not spoken to anyone yet. My opinion of T/C is slowly eroding, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

T/C Triumph Problems

Just hung up with T/C. They said they do not recommend Winchester primers or Triple 7 pellets or loose powder because it is very dirty. They suggested Blackhorn and CCI primers. Although I will try this new recipe I know other with the same exact gun who use Trip 7 and Win primers with no issues. I also bought a new breech plug and will try that as well. If this does nto work T/C suggested I send it back to them for review as it has a lifetime warranty. The unfortunate thing is I will lose the gun for the season :cry:

Could it be possible that your wet patches are too wet? I had a similar situation one time using T/C patches that were too wet. Kept getting hang fires and no-fires. There was so much liquid it was getting in the BP and seriously affecting my ignition. Took a while to figure it out. Started making my own damp patches , switched to loose powder and cci 209m's and never had the ignition problem again. I hope you get it resolved, and it's something simple.

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing about the wet patches. I am using the ones from T/C. I started using 2 dry patches after every wet patch, but it didn ot help. The question is, were you also getting major fouling outside the breech plug where you put the primer? My entire plug gets majorly fouled where the gun breaks as well. I was getting no-fires, hang fires then it just stopped working all together until my friend gave me some of his Remington Kleenbore primers and it fired a few more times. By then, I was so frustrated having been there about 4 hours I just packed up and left.

I'm not sure what your deffinition of a lot of fouling is? Simply by design, the speed breech gets a lot of material deposited in the non threaded area. Other designs thread all the way in. The speed type breech has threads @ 180* from each other, thus leaving a void for material to collect and get deposited. So, to answer your question. Yes I have a pretty fair ammount of crud on my plug after shooting, the longer the range session, the more there is when I get home and remove it. It's pretty ugly at times. I run a dril through it after every 12-15 shots.

Thanks, my plug fouls heavily after about 4-5 shots. I'm not talking about the threads or on the inside of the barrel, but on the outside where the primer goes. The breech plug gets so black after only about 4-5 shots it does not look silver anymore. The inside of the gun where it breaks open gets really dirty as well. My friend has the same gun and his never gets dirty in this area and his plug only gets fouling on the threads and on the part that's seats against the powder in the inside of the barrel. My entire plug gets fouled.

I don't know anything about T/C patches. But you need to squeeze all the juices out of them. Keeping them damp not wet. You can make your own solution by mixing glass cleaner an alcohol 50/50.
Have you tried popping the primers only, checking for fowling and or blowback? I tried 3 different primers an the Win. was the only one I didn't have blow back issues. I just figured them being a touch longer it made a better seal. I have no blowback of any kind now,.
With the amount of blow back your getting, you may have to figure a way to clean your firing pin, bushing and trigger mech. Again I no nothing about the Tri. Let us know what you get figured out.

Thanks Gunrac....I'm heading to the range with Hawgslayer this weekend for some more trial/error. I'll get back with all shortly after. Without exaggeration, the T/C patches would literally pour fluid from them when pushed into the barrel. I'm going to squeeze all the fluid out of them before swabbing the barrel. It sounds like that could be the issue....lets hope.

spitfire100

Try some home made windex patchs - they work very well. The ammonia (even tho very slight) is a natural metal stripper, melts T7 and evaporates quickly in a warm barrel....

WinPatch.jpg

Latest posts

Back