FYI: A dirty breechplug WILL...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Man

Reaction score
... cause accuracy to go from 1 or 1.5 MOA to two or three times that. :oops: :lol: Bushnell Banner has been returned. I have apologized to my Burris for ever doubting its abilities and faithfulness.

I had ordered a backup breechplug when I called Savage for a replacement action screw, so I just popped in a new vent liner and stuck the all-new combo in the gun. It shot like a charm. I even got my smallest two groups yet out of the gun! How much of it was the brand-new breech plug and how much is attributable to the CCI 209M primers I started using today, I don't know.

I could see a pin-hole of light through the breechplug and didn't realize quite how occluded the passage was until I broke it all loose with the drill bit and then, "WOW, that's a big hole!" :wink:

I got all of the carbon out of long passage with the 5/32" bit. As PPosey was discussing on the other thread, there is a bunch of carbon crud in the wider "well" that is the diameter of the primer. Anyone know what size bit I should use for that part of the plug? I gouged a lot of it out with the 5/32" bit, but I was putting scratches into the steel of the plug, too, since the bit wasn't the same size as the primer well.

--------

I shot a seating shot, followed by two three-shot groups, two shots to confirm scope adjustments, then two more three-shot groups.

First group, 42 grains of N110, MMP Short, WW, 250 Shockwave, and CCI 209M. First two shots = 0.5", basically touching, third shot made the group 2.2"

Second group, 69 grains of IMR 4198, a trimmed HPH-24, holding a 250 Shockwave, and CCI 209M. First two shots = 0.7", third shot high for 1.8"

Third group, same load, nice triangle, first two shots 7/8", third shot 1.3" overall.

Fourth group, same load (except used last 250 SW and last two 250 SSTs) , PERFECT equilateral triangle with every hole 0.75" from each of the other two. POI = 1.2" high, 0.4" left of POA. I would have preferred to move it up to 2" high and directly over the bullseye, but I had already spent over four hours at the range and run out of SSTs and SWs.

My bow broke a power cable when I drew it last night, so my bow season is over before it ever started. But, I'm heading to Fort Campbell tomorrow morning and will try to get a muzzleloader unit and see if I can get some blood on the Savage.

A while back, I found a pack of twelve plastic vials with screw-on caps $3.00 at Walmart. They were in the Crafts section, filled with various colors of glitter. :lol: I've been using them successfully since July. They are just the right size to pour in up to 80 grains of powder. Then, I place a flannel patch across the open top, put 250 or 300 gr. bullet in a sabot, and push the combo (surrounded by the patch) down into the vial. It's snug, so the powder stays contained below the patch/sabot/bullet. Set a 209 on top, and screw the cap on. When I'm ready to use it, I tug on the tails/corners of the patch to slide the patch/sabot/bullet out, swab the barrel, and load. I've got five of the them ready to rock and roll.

Bring on first light, baby!

From everything you first mentioned I felt it all pointed in that direction. Glad you got it ready in time for the opener. :wink:

Latest posts

Back