cleaning a inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcahilly

Reaction score
when I used to shoot my old tc renegade which used pyrodix they said never to use a petroleum based cleaner. when I read the forum here thats what eveybody uses. when I get my tc triumph I will use triple seven powder. now one more time now that everybody knows what my question is what do they use to clean between shots and also to clean at the end of the day. tc of course reccomends bore butter and their cleaner. I remember using murphys oil and iso prohyll alcohol. but whatever new era so shoot !

For swabbing between shots, im using windshield washer fluid. When i get home to clean i use warm soapy water with a little windex in it. After cleaning i run windshield washer fluid soaked patches and then dry patches, Lube breech plug, install it and im done.

Triple Seven can be cleaned with simple soap and water. BUT if you believe there is a lead, copper, or plastic deposit in the barrel then you need to get a nylon brush and some good solvent. Scrub the barrel with solvent. Then dry patch the barrel.

To swab between shots, windex will work, water will work, alcohol and windshield washer fluid will work, 409 will work, Simple Green will work, even you spit will work, but you do not need a solvent to swab the bore between shots.

To protect the barrel I use a good quality gun oil. I do not trust bore butter in my barrel to protect it.

I use a 5 part mix of alcohol, peroxide and murphy's oil soap inbetween shots and to clean at the end of the day. Best cleaner I've ever used for subs or real black powder.

now nimrodder has come up with a cleaner that I think i used to make. its been 15 years since I shot a muzzleloader

We call that solution MAP. Murphy's oil soap, alcohol, and peroxide.

When I make it I use 5 parts alcohol, 3 parts peroxide, and 2 parts murphy's oil soap. It is a very good cleaner and will remove even the most stubborn fouling. The reason I stopped using it was people kept claiming that the peroxide could cause flash rusting. I never really noticed that. And I only used it for final cleaning.

well it has gotten easier to clean your gun,thats for sure. any problems using hoppes #9 for the oiling?

dcahilly said:
well it has gotten easier to clean your gun,thats for sure. any problems using hoppes #9 for the oiling?

I wouldn't use #9 for oiling being that it's a solvent. I would use a good synthetic oil as a preservative. I like Break-Free CLP. RemOil and B/C Barricade are also good.

cayuga said:
We call that solution MAP. Murphy's oil soap, alcohol, and peroxide.

When I make it I use 5 parts alcohol, 3 parts peroxide, and 2 parts murphy's oil soap. It is a very good cleaner and will remove even the most stubborn fouling. The reason I stopped using it was people kept claiming that the peroxide could cause flash rusting. I never really noticed that. And I only used it for final cleaning.

Been using MAP for 20+ years,,and never experienced "flash rusting".

I wish someone would explain that.... :roll: :roll:

the hydrogen peroxide is suppose to react with the metal and cause that very thin surface orange rust. Nothing that is dangerous, just a PITA. I used MAP for years and never experiencec surface rusting either. But then got lazy and just bought solvent.

I still want someone to tell me how peroxide is gonna flash rust when mixed equally with 3 parts alcohol and 2 parts Murphy's Oil Soap. :roll: :roll:

I shoot with 2 guys (RD and Sloppy) who are chemists by trade,,and they use it with high acclaim.

I call BS on this one. 8)

Whether BS or not is beside the point. When ever I give the reciepe I use for MAP I always tell them what was told me about the flash rust. Again, I have not personally experienced it, but others have warned me of the same thing. Why they experienced flash rusting or felt the need to warn me, I don't know. Perhaps that would be something interesting to test with some of the barrel I have around here. I almost wonder if they use the MAP and then do not use a gun oil or what ever to protect the rifle. I just don't know.

If I told someone how to make a homemade cleaner, lube, or anything else for that matter, and did not warn them of the same things warned me about a product. Then, if something did happen, I would feel terrible about not warning them. I'd rather tell them and let them judge for themselves.

I've never experienced flash rusting either. MAP is the best cleaner I've used on hard T7 fouling and crud ring plus it works great when cleaning your breech plug. I see where Dave is coming from but I do not hesitate on recommending MAP to fellow shooters.

I have no problem recommending it either Nim. Personally when someone asks me what solvent I use, I seldom think of MAP because I normally don't have it mixed up at the house and in use. Is it because of the warning.. who knows. Maybe in the back of my mind, but I doubt it. I attribute it more to just not having it around. But I have used it. More so in past years. I use it from time to time when I think of it and mix some up. But being lazy, I just buy a bottle of solvent from time to time.

Solvent is not used as much as you might think by me. When I start my cleaning of say a White. After taking it apart. I start by swabbing the bore with Windex, Simple Green, Rusty Duck, any kind of cleaner.. what ever is in my reach at the current time. Normally 99% of the fouling is removed at this point. The time I take a little solvent is when I clean the breech plug threads. Again, I use what ever is near me, Cowboy Solvent, Hoppes, Birchwood Casey, or it could be MAP (if it is mixed up). I really like that Montana X-treme Cowboy Solvent. My triggers are sprayed clean with brake cleaner, so a solvent is not even used there.

I actually find it takes very little solvent for me to keep my rifles in tip top shape. And since I shoot Black Powder 99% of the time, actual soap and water still is one of the best fouling removers here. Although Rusty Duck - Black Off sure works good. And I have several jugs of that because of a Wal Mart sale.

MAP is also an excellent hand cleaner... for that silky smooth, baby's bottom touch. :D

Underclocked said:
MAP is also an excellent hand cleaner... for that silky smooth, baby's bottom touch. :D

Hear it flash rusts on a baby. Never tried it,,,but that's what they tell me. Make sure ya oil that baby down before naptime! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, they do. I don't use any type cleaner neither. I let 'em sit all season. Then I blame flash rust on some concoction that don't work from what I've been told.

8)

Latest posts

Back