Chrono Not Working-Best Speed Estimate??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For whatever reason, my chrono is on the fritz and I would like a rough speed estimate with the following set up:
1) Converted Remington Ultimate ML with 26" Brux 1:20 barrel
2) Arrowhead ignition system with Large Magnum Federal Rifle Primers
3) Fury 300gr Black Tip Smokeless ML bullets (BC of .30)
4) 72grs of H4198
5) Approx 35 degree temps
6) Altitude- approx 600ft
7) Humidity- whatever

I'm thinking around 2700fps, but many of you are more experienced than myself, so give me your best guesses. Thanks.

Caldwell chronograph????

Different propellant and bullet but, 300gr. I have both H4198 and IMR4198 but never shoot it.
This chart happens to be 8208 and a 300gr XLD

8208XBR 88.25grs Range Card 300gr XLD.JPG

It is a Caldwell model. Have had it about 5 years. Generally works pretty well.
I hit that nail on the head. I've got one that's junk also and its not that old. Last time I checked the batteries, I tossed something through it and it registered something like 24,500fps!!!
I tried it on the range and it was all over the place. I contacted them and they were going to send me a new unit..... when they got one. Still don't have it.
A LabRadar couldn't be found and I'm not sure that they're all that "special" anyway, so I picked up the Magnetospeed V3. So far go good.

I hit that nail on the head. I've got one that's junk also and its not that old. Last time I checked the batteries, I tossed something through it and it registered something like 24,500fps!!!
I tried it on the range and it was all over the place. I contacted them and they were going to send me a new unit..... when they got one. Still don't have it.
A LabRadar couldn't be found and I'm not sure that they're all that "special" anyway, so I picked up the Magnetospeed V3. So far go good.
That is what I'm looking to go with. Just worried about the attachment since I have a muzzlebrake on my smokeless, and also if sabots will cause a problem when attaching it to my Savage ML II.

That is what I'm looking to go with. Just worried about the attachment since I have a muzzlebrake on my smokeless, and also if sabots will cause a problem when attaching it to my Savage ML II.
Sabots are a thing of the past for me so I wouldn't know but, I use mine WITH my T-Rex brake and it works perfectly.

Guess what?

The UPS driver stopped today and dropped off a box for me. Wife wanted to know what else I'd ordered. LOL
Inside the box is a brand new: Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit | Caldwell

I'm going to continue to use the Magnetospeed. Once I get around, I'll put this new one up for sale and include the old model for parts, etc. I have two plexiglass shields for those who may shoot sabots, which should keep a sabot from busting the display.

Latest posts

Back