Cartridges stored in the gun stock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a gun that has a place where cartridges stored in the gun butt stock. Do you know anywhere I can find the parts to make one for another gun?

Attachments

• COLLATH-DRILLING-16GA-9-3X72R-Fine-Pre-War_102579695_51982_9CE91C66699A9EC3.jpg
    COLLATH-DRILLING-16GA-9-3X72R-Fine-Pre-War_102579695_51982_9CE91C66699A9EC3.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 0
  • COLLATH-DRILLING-16GA-9-3X72R-Fine-Pre-War_102579695_51982_56044F7546EDA636.jpg
    COLLATH-DRILLING-16GA-9-3X72R-Fine-Pre-War_102579695_51982_56044F7546EDA636.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 0
Reinhart Fajen, when they were in business had those as an option, but that was 35 years ago or more. I did a 98 Mauser stock with one. I guess I would start looking at Gun Shows, you never know. Good luck finding one.

The hard part will be the hinging area. Specialty furniture shop/cabinet maker type may have insight?

Could be "easy"-ish if you were OK with something more like a lid with a couple of friction-fit pins/posts to hold it in place. Cut stock as if you were going to make an adjustable cheek riser, drill deep enough holes for rounds, maybe countersink appropriate spot on top half for base of rounds (so they can stand above cut line). Then a pillar at each end that is friction fit and lets you just load 'em up and slide it down on top and into place.

Try your gunsmith friend and he should be able to order one when he orders your claw mounts

Hurry, Gru-Bee only one left "in stock" ...

https://www.grubee.net/products/butt-stock-trapdoor-cartridge-carrier

GruBee_cartridge_carrier_2048x2048.jpg

Thank you for all your support, but not sure I want to make holes in my gunstock. I am happy with the original gun in my post and maybe that is enough.

Thank you for all your support, but not sure I want to make holes in my gunstock. I am happy with the original gun in my post and maybe that is enough.

Just curious, exactly how did you think you'd install the cartridge trap your describing without making hole(s) in your gun stock?...

Here's another option, if you don't want visible hardware or "holes"...

https://www.hallowellco.com/cartridge_trap.htm

Just curious, exactly how did you think you'd install the cartridge trap your describing without making hole(s) in your gun stock?...

Here's another option, if you don't want visible hardware or "holes"...

https://www.hallowellco.com/cartridge_trap.htm
You have tempted me with behind the butt plate. I could do this.

My earlier response is that I have antique rifles and drillings that are engraved, often carved wood. Most of the cartridge traps would not work with the previous engraved patterns. Though most of these are straight, but the side curves might not fit the stock.

Also, I am basically an authentic firearms guy, Mostly what I do is to stop any deterioration and otherwise have the firearm in original condition. I acquire firearms that do not need restoration. A few dings, dents and patina are ok, pointing out to me the history.

Drilling into a 100 year old butt stock gave me a twinge! The more I thought about this and handling some of the possible candidates I have and leave them alone. I have some nice slings that can hold a few rounds.

Picture show a recently acquired 1880s Cape gun/Combination. Could anyone drill into this stock?

Attachments

• Combo 1.jpg
    Combo 1.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back