can i use blackhorn 209 in original optima?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: breech plug availability

bluedog said:
How do I get one of those Accura breech plugs with the replacable Lehigh or Savage vent liner - for shooting BH209 out of a .50 cal Acurra?

You can shoot BH209 with the factory supplied Accura breech plug.

Cleaning Flash Hole

I am quite new to muzzle loading, but for what it is worth, cleaning the flash hole with a drill bit might leave a scratch or scar in the metal which will tend to gather carbon as you shoot the next time. I use a set of "torch tip cleaners" which are used to clean the tips of oxyacetylene equipment. A set is cheap and contains numerous sizes that will work in just about any breech plug.
Just a thought from a beginner.

Re: Cleaning Flash Hole

SteelHorse said:
I am quite new to muzzle loading, but for what it is worth, cleaning the flash hole with a drill bit might leave a scratch or scar in the metal which will tend to gather carbon as you shoot the next time. I use a set of"torch tip cleaners" which are used to clean the tips of oxyacetylene equipment. A set is cheap and contains numerous sizes that will work in just about any breech plug.
Just a thought from a beginner.

I use them too but they are not as good at cleaning the "channel". They are fine for cleaning the "hole" if used with care. One of my CVA plugs has a slightly larger hole after using the picks many times. IMO it was an improvement.

The 7/64 or 3mm (i think) drill bit will clean carbon/residue from the channel much easier. Ive used both and the bit used with care is better for cleaning this area.

A very small bronze brush will clean the channel too if you can find one that small. Maybe a .177 bore brush/4.5mm if you enlarge the channel. I have a really small one but have no idea where i got it.

The factory Accura plug does work just fine 99% of the time with the right primer. Mine prefers the Win209 but i do use mags in cold weather and a totally clean plug. At the range i just inspect the channel and hole, if it appears dirty i just use a torch pick. Getting it totally clean requires more effort.

Scott

Latest posts

Back