Butt Out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All the talk in the knife thread got me to thinking on this. Its not the favorite part of the hunt by any means but very necessary to start removing the guts. I hurt my back doing the butt removal deed, but still hate this job. Wally World had this product for $15 last couple years an I wasn't gonna bite, found them on Amazon for half that an got one for this fall. They look pretty slick on the You Tube videos. Anybody tried them? or will admit to it.... :lol: :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwNVJYp5Vgw

I have heard of the tool but never used one. I never found it that hard to do it with a knife.

I got one a few years ago and forgot about it in the bottom of my pack every time I would gut a deer. Easy chore with a sharp knife. Plus I don't need it for my tag soup the last two years lol.

If you want it its all yours. PM me your address and Ill send it Monday.

I have not seen it used but My Nephew has one and said it worked pretty slick. Apparently you push it in and twist it several turns then pull it out and cut off the skin around the anus, remove the tool and can then tie off the tube.

I have one. They work as long as you use it right. Right number of twists then slow, steady pull out. Saves you a little time and hassle, you just have to decide if it's worth the space in your pack.

I do get a kick out of explaining what it is to my non-hunting friends. :p

I have one but haven't used it for a couple of years. It worked as advertised most of the time, a few it tore and had to revert back to the knife. I stopped using because it was one more item to clean and usually collected deer dung pellets on it.

SteveH said:
BuckDoeHunter said:
I stopped using because it was one more item to clean and usually collected deer dung pellets on it.

I've found that it is dishwasher safe! :wink:

LOL!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If my wife saw me put that thing in our dishwasher, I'd have more than 'heck' to pay, I'd probably be doin' dishes by hand for the rest of my life :shock:

I have had one for several years but just never thought about using it. I used it on 4 deer this year and it worked actually quite well. The only thing as mentioned it is just another thing to clean but other than that I think I will keep using it.

It couldn't be that much to clean, might have to cut off some "material" :roll: an rinse in the outside spigot...I'm gonna store mine in a plastic bag so it will go back in there after use an if need be the bag can always be replaced. Good thing I don't have a dishwasher...that was funny!! :lol:

I know a guy that uses one. He says it works fine, and I'm sure they do. But like others have said... a sharp knife of the right configuration (longer/thinner blade) and a little practice, it comes out easy. I start there, get it cut loose and then when I pull the guts out it comes right out from the inside with the guts. To me, its just something else to take up space in my pack or pockets that's not really needed.

Dishwasher safe.... classic Steve! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back