Building A 1/3rd Scale Log Siege Mortar.....Need A Custom 1.250ish Round Ball Mold.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to All.

I need a custom round ball mold for a 1/3 scale log mortar I'm building. The type used by Grant during the siege of Vicksburg in 1863.

The ball will be about 1.250 diameter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I'm no help on acquiring a mold. However, I am very curious about the estimated weight of a 1.250" diameter lead ball. Won't that be a very heavy projectile? Seems like a lot of potential destruction coming down range. I would like to see the crater it makes.

Of course, it's all relative to scale.

That would be pretty neat to see being fired. Lobbing a projectile in a long slow arc. You would be able to watch it go the whole way too. But yeah a 1.25 inch lead ball is going to be way up there in weight maybe way too much.

I was thinking concrete filled projectiles. Or plaster of Paris. I remember they used to sell juice in small cans sometime back. One would fill the empty can with plaster of Paris or concrete and let it cure and harden. I did a google search and saw that they still sell some fruit drinks in 5.5 ounce, 7.2 ounce and 8 ounce mini-cans. One of those might be the right size to use too.

I'm no help on acquiring a mold. However, I am very curious about the estimated weight of a 1.250" diameter lead ball. Won't that be a very heavy projectile? Seems like a lot of potential destruction coming down range. I would like to see the crater it makes.

Agreed. Lots of weight in that ball.

Roto-Metals sells zinc pellets in bulk.

Just need a mold.

That would be pretty neat to see being fired. Lobbing a projectile in a long slow arc. You would be able to watch it go the whole way too. But yeah a 1.25 inch lead ball is going to be way up there in weight maybe way too much.

I was thinking concrete filled projectiles. Or plaster of Paris. I remember they used to sell juice in small cans sometime back. One would fill the empty can with plaster of Paris or concrete and let it cure and harden. I did a google search and saw that they still sell some fruit drinks in 5.5 ounce, 7.2 ounce and 8 ounce mini-cans. One of those might be the right size to use too.
I'm also building one to launch the tiny V-8 juice cans.

And watching a ball sail through the air brings on childish giggles.

Using pewter/tin when melted, these 1.220 diameter balls ending up weighing 6 ounces.

The balls for the 1/2 scale piece come in at 11 ounces.

All sent flying using black powder ONLY.

PS: It appears that my ban at the Muzzle Loading Forum is permanent. The guys over there would get a kick out of these things. With the proper liability disclaimers of course. Taps playing for 64Springer. Berrrr Berr Berrrrrrrrr.........

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back