Build #1 Isaac Haines - COMPLETED

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:
After the Laurel Mountain Forge - Nut Brown stain was applied:
- I started applying Formby's Traditional Tung Oil finish.  I just applied my second coat this morning.  I'll see what it looks like after about 4 or 5 coats to get it good and sealed.  Drying time is 24 hours for each coat. Then I'll rub in a good coat of Renaissance brand wax. 
- I cold-blued the barrel yesterday.  I applied 3 treatments with Hoppe's <a href='/tags/9' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #9'>#9</a> Gun Bluing kit.  I debated on brown or blue but blue won out.
- I also started polishing the brass

I looked over Jon's tutorial on polishing the lock parts.  I have the lock completely disassembled so it's a perfect time to do that.  The bad thing....I think I forgot how to put the lock back together again.   :D

"The bad thing....I think I forgot how to put the lock back together again.   
icon_biggrin.png
"

I do that all the time. I'm real good at disassembling things but my reverse gear has a missing cog.

patocazador said:
"The bad thing....I think I forgot how to put the lock back together again.   
icon_biggrin.png
"

I do that all the time. I'm real good at disassembling things but my reverse gear has a missing cog.
Don't feel bad, I do the same thing with putting on my shoes. :x  :pale:   :slaps:

There's an old saying " It's a "novice" rifle builder's prerogative to change his mind" I changed my mind from bluing the barrel and small parts to "rust browning".  I'm using Laurel Mountain Forge "Barrel Brown and Degreaser".  I decided things are looking pretty good as long as I'm wearing my "Solar Eclipse" glasses.   :D

WBIyY2.jpg

hecYXB.jpg

Smokin' Joe said:
I decided things are looking pretty good as long as I'm wearing my "Solar Eclipse" glasses.   :D
Smokin' Joe said:
I was trying to load a 3-yr old bull to take to the sale and he was butting and kicking and trying to bust out of the trailer. The eclipse started and everything got semi-dim like before a thunderstorm and he quieted right down. We only had an 83% eclipse here but it was enough.

I just got back and when the sun got bright again he started raising hell again. The handlers at the market had to climb the wall when he came out of the trailer.  :Hide:  I've just got one bull left to sell and he weighs ~ 1300-1400 lbs. I'm going to have to wait for a cowboy with a better trailer to get him to the sale. I'm too old for this crap!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll bet that rifle is going to look sweet when you finish, Joe.

Good call on the brown. 8)

I am really enjoying watching your progress on this, Joe. 
Looks like it is coming together well. I have a lot more confidence 
in you than you do. It's gonna be a sweet little rifle.

Here's my rifle!  I finished my Isaac Haines build!  .50 Cal., 38" Colerain "B" weight swamped barrel.  Laurel Mountain Forge Barrel Brown & Degreaser, Laurel Mountain Forge Nut Brown stain, 6 coats of Formby's Tung Oil.  About 7 pounds, light weight hunting rifle.
One newbie mistake:  The very last thing I had to do was put on the cock.  I instantly found out that I had forgot to relieve the wood so the cock could travel back and forth.  I'm done for today and heading to the fridge for a cold beer to celebrate!

WIdiB1.jpg

AJyJiP.jpg

2nxBmJ.jpg

PstJCT.jpg

CFFabx.jpg

Yes, all done. I'll look at that tomorrow. I don't know how I forgot that. I should have put all parts together before I started staining.  Oh well.

Looks great! You are now, Joe the Gunmaker! :thumbs up: 
I knew it was gonna turn out good. 

When you gonna shoot it? Do you have medical insurance? :joker:

Actually, I have my Jim Chambers parts kit - Pennsylvania Fowler circa 1760 - 1770 to finish.  This is a 20ga. (.62 cal.) smooth bore with a 46" barrel.  This is the one I worked on in my Alabama build class.

I have lots to do.   Most all of the inletting is complete.  That took 5 days, 12 hours a day with instruction from a master gun builder, Jim Parker, so it's ready to make sparks. 
Work to complete: stock shaping / finishing, rust browning of parts, brass polishing and a ram rod.  The stock is walnut so I'm hoping to do it justice.

J6yTMf.jpg

Latest posts

Back