Build #1 Isaac Haines - COMPLETED

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
Well I decided to get back to my Isaac Haines build. Below you can see it on my bench.   The pic below that is what it is suppose to look like completed.  I'm till deciding if I have enough courage to attempt a sliding patch box.  Being a "newbie" everything I do is for the first time.  I just cut off the stock at the muzzle so there is 1/8" of barrel shown.  "Most" of the inletting is complete so stock shaping is next.  Lots of sanding to do.

This is a .50cal, Flinter, 38" swamped "B" weight barrel.  For a muzzleloader this rifle is light!   I'm sure it will come in under 7lbs.

61lthN.jpg

ZjQLKN.jpg

Wow, you've already accomplished lots more than I'd be comfortable trying.  I'd be encouraged by all that, however you plan to proceed.  Well done!

Worked on the muzzle cap today.  Seems like a simple thing but since it is my fist time it took me most of the day.  I will be using some epoxy to glue in place.

kLFdNf.jpg

tFCmtq.jpg

sp8ueK.jpg

Love it! Just go slow and steady, it will be a beauty when you are all finished.

Don't you love that gun vise? I can not tell you how many rifles ive built and restored on mine. Just a hell of a  handy took to have on hand.

There are no "simple thing"s 'Joe when you are only doing it once.  Great start :!:

I couldn't image taking on that project without a gun vice.

The "Best Gun Vice" is great for most projects.  I do love it!  I don't use it when I'm inletting with chisel and carving mallet.  Of course it is not made for that either.  I use the "Versa-Vice" you see in the background because the rifle has to be turned to so many different positions.

I stopped in at "Track Of The Wolf" this afternoon to take a look at the $3,000 - $5000 dollar long rifles. I wanted to get an idea of how their stocks are shaped so I can proceed with my Isaac Haines. 

I shouldn't have done that......my rifle will NOT be looking that nice. I have a long way to go, skill wise, in rifle building.

Your work looks fine to me, Joe. Hang in there. 

Wish I was that close to TOW. I'd love to visit.

No one can expect to be a professional gun builder on their first few tries. I think yours is progressing nicely.

Thank you for the encouragement guys.  I'll "Getter Done", she'll be beautiful to me!

The nose cap in stalled and the stock shaped down to meet it.  I feel that I'm about 95% complete now on the sanding / scraping of the stock.  I am waiting on some curved files that I have ordered so I can work on the edges of flats where the lock and the side plate are located.  I want them to be a little more defined.

Then next will be the finish on this curly maple stock.  I don't have a clue yet how to do it properly so I'm researching that now.

P76cT8.jpg

No not yet. Looking for suggestions. The stock has some nice figure.  If I do it right she should be a fine looking rifle

Put some stain on the stock.  It is Laurel Mountain Forge - Nut Brown.  The bad:  with the stain on it I can see some blemishes /chisel marks that I didn't get sanded out. Just letting it dry today.  It should turn a dull brown when dry. Then I'll rub it down some with a wet 3m scotch pad to start bringing out the curly maple stripes.  I think I'm going to order some Jim Chambers Traditional Oil Finish. 

I prepped the barrel to remove factory marks, did some draw filing then 220 grit, 320 grit.  Also tried a 3M scotch pad (brown color) made for metal,  a little steel wool and finely some 800 grit wet dry sand paper.  In other words tried about every thing I had.  :D

tiqDQk.jpg

Latest posts

Back