Breech Plug - Vent Liner Project

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the guys on this forum were just a bunch of hunters - they're more like engineers! Great stuff.

Chick said:
By the way, the 2 places I have found the VLs, they are $5 a piece. Where can you get them for $3?

The last time I ordered vent liners directly from Savage I remember them being about $3, but that was a couple years ago :oops:

I use to order ten or a dozen at a time because my Savage would erode the flash holes from about .031" to over .035" in about 75 shots shooting smokeless powders and my groups would open up.

With the Omega and BH209 I've found that the flash holes in the BP's last a long time--3 to 400 shots?--so I have only been putting in a new breech plug once a year.

Now with the conversion to the vent liner plug, I will just change the VL once a year or so. For me the VL conversion is more about making the BP and rifle easier to clean, but saving a little money is nice too.

Are these vent liners like sabotloaders flat head made of plain old carbon steel? Would stainless be more durable?

tpcollins

The Savage liners or even Randy Wakeman's liners are a flat top black metal...

The Lehigh is a cone shape hardened ordinace steel....

IMG_0436.jpg

Savage on the Left - Lehigh on the right

I'm sure that the alloy of the SS would make a difference. 304 Stainless would probably not be much better than mild still. I would think 310 or better, would be needed.

The man at Blackhorn told me that they have the least amount of trouble, with BPs that have the larger hole extend the length of the BP, then it narrows down to the flash hole. I take it that you don't have this trouble? Do you think this can be incorporated on the Traditions Accelerator BP? It is flat on the powder side, not the Thunderdome style.[/img]
l bought some drill bits and modified my plug in a drill press

Attachments

• 20200406_200119.jpg
    20200406_200119.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 8
Hi everyone, I see that the links from the posts aren't working, at least on my phone. If possible, could anyone post some dimensions for what was disvussed?
Thanks!

This Thread is 12 yrs old, doubtful the links can be revived. Do a search of breech plug modifications and read until you find the info your looking for.

this is what I did.
triditions bp, original flat face powder side

Attachments

• 20211206_200838.jpg
    20211206_200838.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211206_200643.jpg
    20211206_200643.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211206_200736.jpg
    20211206_200736.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 17