Breech plug problem?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember exactly what happened when the trigger broke, but I did somehthing differently, pulled on the trigger when it was swung down or something, but the trigger was definately in the way when I tried to close the trigger/breech assembly. If I had just unscrewed the barrel from the stock I think I would have avoided this problem.

When I sent mine in, I just sent the trigger assembly, not the whole gun, much easier to mail. Pretty easy to remove and replace. They replaced the trigger on my assembly and sent it back to me at no charge.

I will ask one more time: did you use a 1/8 inch drill to ream out the rear primer pocket. REGARDLESS of using an ultrasonic cleaner, I believe the rear primer pocket will still have crud in it. Unless you can run the drillbit up about 1/2 of an inch into this pocket, it is not clean even though you can see daylight through it.

Omega

I might have missed it but u said you cleaned the breech plug, but you never said that you ran an 1/8 drill bit in the plug. If youve shot it much the hole is reduced creating back pressure [smoke]. 10 or 15 shots will reduce the hole to less than 1/16. Don't know about the trigger breaking problem unless your pivit pins are worn loose and sloppy making it hard to close and not sealing breech..............wayles

If primers are not all the same length , even in the same box , that could be the reason some give to more smoke ( blow by ) than others . The shorter primes ( less of a seal ) is letting smoke and flame go by the outside of the primer and not through the breech plug and to the powder . Where the longer primer ( better seal ) is firing the powder better and no smoke or flame is going around the primer . Just maybe that also why your getting accuracy problem too . When you get a good seal from the longer primer it like shooting a hotter primer, compared to the shorter one leaking flame out the side . IMO !! It would very noticeable if your have not drilled out your breech plug with a 1/8 drill bit as noted above, as the hole down the middle would be VERY small and restricted .

txhunter....I did use a 1/8' bit to clear out any build-up like you suggested, then went over it with a 1/8" wire brush as well. Also made sure the primer pocket itself had no build-up, along with the smaller flash hole. That breech plug had never been cleaner. :D

Just to clarify...Im not new to the Omegas, I have owned a few and consider them to be the finest inline rifles out there. Ive never shot one that wasnt a sub MOA gun, (with the right load) and have never had any trouble with one until this little episode. Thats why this whole blow-back issue has me stumped.
Anyway...I decided not to take a chance on getting it back in time to hunt, I stopped at my local gun shop and gave the credit a workout, walked out with a new Omega Z5. Like Frontier Gander suggested...I now have a back-up rifle. Beats takin the chance of gettin caught sitting in the house on opening day. :D

:yeah: that extra rifle helps take away the sick feeling you get when something goes wrong with the First rifle and time is limited.

frontier gander said:
:yeah: that extra rifle helps take away the sick feeling you get when something goes wrong with the First rifle and time is limited.

Amen to that brother...I can deal with the frown on the wifes face when she seen the new Z5 a whole lot better than I could deal with sitting at home opening day. :D
I called T/C this morning and the lady I spoke to said right now the turn around time on repairs is about 5 weeks, so it looks like I made the right decision on the Z5. Not to mention the fact that she said theres no record of mine being recieved yet.

No updates yet. The gun shop owner sent the gun out last week but T/C says they havent got it yet. :shock:
Starting to get a little worried here that it may have gotten lost. Im hoping its there and they just havent logged it in yet. I spoke with a woman named Gail at T/C and I have to say I didnt care for her. She was very short and abrupt...like the whole idea of me calling to check on it was just a bother to her. I'll give it a couple more days and try again, if they say its still not there Ill have to get a tracking number from the gun shop.

Another update. Spoke with "Jack" the repair tech. at T/C that will be working on my Omega today. Super nice guy! I told him the whole story about the blowback problem, and the trigger breaking.
He said not to worry...it would either be repaired or replaced altogether. He then asked me when gun season starts here in Indiana, I told him Nov. 14th. He said he would have it back in time to get it sighted in no matter what. Cant beat that with a stick as far as Im concerned. :D

Latest posts

Back