Bloodied My Savage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENISONEATR

Reaction score
Well this little guy came by around 0730. I hunted everyday since Monday except for yesterday and this is the first and only set of horns I saw all week :cry: :evil: Load was 44 gr. 5744 and 250 SST at about 80 yds. Complete pass thru with massive expansion!. A slight quartering to shot. Deer's reaction was a typical double lung death run for about 75 yds.

Exit Hole

DSC01729Medium.jpg

DSC01734Medium.jpg

Now THAT'S my boy! :D Heck YEAH! Doesn't that feel better than that dang 6.5X55 Swede? 8) :yeah:

Pretty good feeling, huh? :lol:

Congrats! If you can do that in NY you can SURELY do it in Texas!

Thanks guys. It has been a tough cold week. I really had intentions of holding out for a something a little bigger but this guy came by all hobbled up. At first I thought he might have been hit by a car. But it turns out he had a few buchshot pellets in his rump. I guess I did him a favor. They probably would have gotten infected and he would have been easy pickins for the coyotes that seem to be as thick as ticks on a farm dog this year.

Congrats! If you can do that in NY you can SURELY do it in Texas!

Any tentative dates yet???

Looks like the Venisoneatr got some good table fare.

Liver and tenderloins for breakfast tomorrow :wink:

Any tentative dates yet???

Randy S. is out on a hunt at the same place I hunted earlier. They just hunt that approx 30,000 acre ranch twice, 2nd week in November and December which is now. There was no phones or cell service at that ranch! He'll get back with me by the end of the week...

Tuff huntin & bagging a deer with a ML....been there , done that. Seems the harder you must hunt ...the more you appreciate your harvest.

Congrats Jim on your Buck!! :yeah:

Loggy said:
Seems the harder you must hunt ...the more you appreciate your harvest.

Ain't that the truth.. It was 9 degrees this morning where I was... pretty darn cold for me! You just gotta have that never give up attitude! Plus the sunrise and sunset today were priceless.

Venisoneatr question for you. You said your load was 5744 I thought we were not allowed to use smokeless powder here in NJ. Thanx Joe

Joes said:
Venisoneatr question for you. You said your load was 5744 I thought we were not allowed to use smokeless powder here in NJ. Thanx Joe

I also hunt in NY... :wink:

Oh ok. There should be some tender backstraps on that buck. I like the look of the gun with the laminated stock I have the black synthetic version. The laminated stock should really give the gun a nice solid feel. Mine shoots really good with the black stock but it's something to think about. Congrats and good eating. Thanx Joe :wink:

Thanks VE I have been following the site for a while and love it. I have been trying to get a hold of some 5744 here in passaic county but no luck. Any places out there in Bergen County that you can suggest. I can go with mail order but I would rather buy it in person and save the extra shipping charge. Thanx. Joe :)

Joe to be honest with you I don't know of any store locally that carries it. I handload for centerfire so when it comes time to order I don't mind the $20.00 hazardous fee. When you compare the cost of the mail order stuff and store bought powders there isn't that much of a savings to fret about. Store bought marks the powder up, you pay tax, and gas going to the store. I would suggest ordering some N-110 and N-120 along with the 5744 and splitting it with a buddy. Trying all the different loads can get addicting.
Joe where do you shoot? I shoot mostly at Cherry Ridge in Vernon.

Latest posts

Back