• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED/ISO Blackhorn 209/Federal 209a primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot BH209 in an Accura V2, an Optima V2 Pistol and in a CVA Kodiak and use nothing but Winchester shotshell reloading 209 primers and have zero issues. I hunt in Minnesota, and we can have some very cold conditions during the deer season and muzzleloader season and the only hang fire I ever had was when I used some CCI standard 209 primers in weather that was about 12 below zero. I've since hunted in -18 degrees and shot deer using the mentioned Winchesters without any hitches whatever.

BH209 needs a hot primer and anything muzzleloader specific will not get the job done reliably. Stick with 209 primers intended for shot shell reloading and you'll have the necessary heat to ignite the 209 powder in most conditions. If you know you're going to be hunting in temps that can fall below zero, use a magnum variety of shotshell primer or one that you know will ignite the powder at those temps. The Winchester 209 is a very hot primer.

I shoot BH209 in an Accura V2, an Optima V2 Pistol and in a CVA Kodiak and use nothing but Winchester shotshell reloading 209 primers and have zero issues. I hunt in Minnesota, and we can have some very cold conditions during the deer season and muzzleloader season and the only hang fire I ever had was when I used some CCI standard 209 primers in weather that was about 12 below zero. I've since hunted in -18 degrees and shot deer using the mentioned Winchesters without any hitches whatever.

BH209 needs a hot primer and anything muzzleloader specific will not get the job done reliably. Stick with 209 primers intended for shot shell reloading and you'll have the necessary heat to ignite the 209 powder in most conditions. If you know you're going to be hunting in temps that can fall below zero, use a magnum variety of shotshell primer or one that you know will ignite the powder at those temps. The Winchester 209 is a very hot primer.
I have triple se7en winchester primers, Wouldn't be hot enough. I might have a few of the blue flat pack of winchester 209s somewhere....where are you finding the standard winchester shotgun primers? If you are

also do you know anything about the Cheddite primers? seen plenty of them...wondering how they will do with BH. Im sure it'll do fine for triple se7en loose powder

I've found my Winchester shotshell primers in either the Fleet Farm store or Scheels here in Rochester. I buy them when I see them and I don't have any faith that if I go back in a week they'll still be there.

Cheddite primers I have not used but several members here have and with T7 loose powder they'd be fine. Not sure about the pellets.

I've found my Winchester shotshell primers in either the Fleet Farm store or Scheels here in Rochester. I buy them when I see them and I don't have any faith that if I go back in a week they'll still be there.

Cheddite primers I have not used but several members here have and with T7 loose powder they'd be fine. Not sure about the pellets.
1667972253007.png do they look like this the ones u are getting?

I have triple se7en winchester primers, Wouldn't be hot enough. I might have a few of the blue flat pack of winchester 209s somewhere....where are you finding the standard winchester shotgun primers? If you are
Not Just Fishing on Connelly Springs Rd had some Win 209s about a month ago.

well ..... we have another dr. appt. @ 3:20 on the 15th at the hospital across from pinnacle mall ......

if you can make it i'll trade you even steven per pack if you have the winchester 777 ML primers . i have 4 packs . if you have less than 4 packs and want the 4 i have we can trade for what you have a i'll ask $10 for my others .

thanks guys - good info here. Wish I had time to do some testing before season ends - ill check the sporting shop down the road for 209a primers - if anyone has a pack of winchester 209a they would be will to mail me pm me plz- unless i find something of course!
Got email today me and the wifes guns have shipped - will be a early Christmas for us :)

Latest posts

Back