alliant blackdot powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockycreek redtick

Reaction score
been waiting for it but never tryed the black mag3 how did black mag 3 compare to triple 7 or black horn 209.ive been shooting triple 7 for the last 6 years before that i shot pyrodex select liked it good and gun did to but wallyworld stopped handling it and i like to shot what is easy to get when needed.well back to blackdot from alliant its for sale at graf and son its in there 2010 master catalog page 236 bottom right corner for 27.99 for 12.5 oz jug.as soon as some one shots this powder let use now how it stacks up against the others.

Black Dot is listed on Grafs website but currently unavailable. Last email I got from Alliant advised it should hit the shelves this summer.

Black Dot was being made at the Black Mag plant run by MDM in a co-operative effort with Alliant. Me thinks that no BlackDot will be available in the forseeable future because the plant blew up.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/blackpowder_roundup_2010.htm

Alliant has been testing and helping MDM get it right and they have reached a marketing agreement with MDM. Alliant has a good name and good distribution, two things that Black Mag has never had. The name would seem to indicate that it compliments the traditional premium Alliant double-based shotshell powder line of Red Dot, Green Dot, and Blue Dot.

I have some of the original Black Mag and it was better than Tripple Seven for both power and clean burning. Price and availability has always been the problem with Black Mag. Now that the plant blew up I also doubt that it will be available soon. I still would like to see a major manufacturer make and distribute the product as I really like the performance and the lack of fouling. Personally I feel it is as good or very close to as good as the new (smokeless "almost" 209 stuff that is also very expensive). It seems to me that the costs are really way too high but I think a lot has to do with the limited market which is growing by leaps and bounds.

Black Mag 3 is an ascorbic acid based propellant. Bullet lubes and oily bores are not recommended. However, I've found that BM3 does not clump up like Shockey's Gold, APP, or Pinnacle when used with a gun stored with Breakfree CLP as a bore protectant. One dry patch up and down the bore to grab excess lube, and you are good to go. The first shot tends to carry out any remaining lube, so from the second shot on you have no noticeable clumping.
Some will say it is noncorrosive I do not agree, it is less corrosive than pyrodex or 777 but you still need to clean the gun when you are done shooting.
From the testing it can produce a bit more velocity than 777 wit a bit less pressure, and like Blackhorn it has a longer pressure peak which is why heavy loads produce very high velocity for a muzzle loader.
It can not hold the pressure down with extreme loads like b
Blackhorn, and it does attract moisture after being burned so the need to clean the gun under some circumstances is immediate.
On the good side it is the best powder for traditional muzzle loaders I have ever tried and it works very well in inlines to.
Its biggest problem has been distribution and the fact that every time they get it into use some thing bad has happened.
What is going to happened now since the plant burned down is the question no one has given a good answer to.

Back