Remember the last time you had "one of these days"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funman

Reaction score
Today was opening day muzzle loading season ok, im ready i have my clothes washed in sports wash, my gun pre fouled, my wife excited im getting out of the house. Heres where it goes down hill

1. I get to the tree to put up the climber dark 30. I take off the gloves to take the pins out of the climber, i climb up ....guess whats still on the ground, yep gloves i took off. ok

2. Im up in the stand 30 or more feet up looking down at my gloves Ok

3. Im cold and wish i had my gloves , but im not about to go back down and get them. I sit their and wait for day light.

4. Before daylight hits i hear trucks rolling up into the area i thought was going to be all mine (this is public land). I hear men getting out and slamming doors shut and talking like they are going to work, not hunt.

5. Im in stand cursing people i do not know and say shut the hell up. This is all to myself ofcourse

6. I start hearing a ripping noise, the seat on my stand is dry rotted and i can visually see the strap ripping in half

7. I hold on to dear life while in the stand , not wanting to get down

8. At 1000 oclock i decide i could get down repair the seat and try another area ( have not ate a thing yet)

9, I go to the truck eat some boil eggs i had brought and do some 550 cord repair on the seat ( it fixes everything)

10. I go to the new spot i walk and walk a good 300 yards. I get into the stand and sit thier. I hear a rip and my body has moved a good 5 inches in the down position. My 550 cord has ripped (it must be old) , now my climbing stand is a stand only stand. After several attempts of saying to myself you can stand here long enough until something walks out , i get down and face the facts. I WASNT PREPARED. I had to share this i know we all have our days this was mine and ill learn . thanks for reading

Yup , I have had those kind of days also. Did you remember to pick your gloves up when you came down to repair the seat ?

I sure did buddy it was too cold to cold to forget,

Had one last year! Got back to the truck after facing into a 30 mile an hour north wind for three hours, start up the truck, fire up the heater, put her in reverse, step on the gas a bit, then a bit more, then a bit more and the frozen throttle cable finally lets loose- headed into the woods at what felt like full throttle I stomp on the brakes- no brakes-AAAHHHH!! try to turn the wheel to stay on the trail- no steering either!!!! Finally get stopped after about 10 seconds of pure panic, pop the hood to see power steering fluid spraying out of a hose. Whoever the rocket scientist at GM was that designed the power brake booster to run off of the power steering pump has never had to strong-arm a 3/4 ton truck down 10 miles of frozen logging trails without power steering or brakes I can guarantee you that! Drove another 20 miles on the blacktop to get to a gas station to borrow a pliars and buy some powersteering fluid. Got back in time for the PM hunt though! :)

mirage1988 said:
Had one last year! Got back to the truck after facing into a 30 mile an hour north wind for three hours, start up the truck, fire up the heater, put her in reverse, step on the gas a bit, then a bit more, then a bit more and the frozen throttle cable finally lets loose- headed into the woods at what felt like full throttle I stomp on the brakes- no brakes-AAAHHHH!! try to turn the wheel to stay on the trail- no steering either!!!! Finally get stopped after about 10 seconds of pure panic, pop the hood to see power steering fluid spraying out of a hose. Whoever the rocket scientist at GM was that designed the power brake booster to run off of the power steering pump has never had to strong-arm a 3/4 ton truck down 10 miles of frozen logging trails without power steering or brakes I can guarantee you that! Drove another 20 miles on the blacktop to get to a gas station to borrow a pliars and buy some powersteering fluid. Got back in time for the PM hunt though! :)

Im glad you came out alright, iv had my problems with trucks before and thats a whole nother story. i give you credit for making the pm hunt :D

Latest posts

Back