Big Road Kill Hog

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this big boar hog alongside the road yesterday afternoon.  It was not there at about 10:00 am when i came by.     No sign it had been dumped.  Not sure how the hog was killed.  There are signs it was hit by a vehicle but those two holes in the belly are funny. 

This hog is huge; at least 350 pounds.   Yeah, there is a little bloating but not that much. 

th_DSC02005.jpg

th_DSC02007.jpg

:pale: what a beast!

Pretty clean other than those 2 holes. I would have thought there would have been blood as well as car parts with a hog that size!

It cracks me up knowing there is food running around like that, free for the taking. I'd love to have hogs in Colorado, such a huge source of food.

Same thinking here FG on a HUGE food source.   Every time forum members talk about taking hogs like we take squirrels drives me nuts!  I would always have fresh hog in my freezer if they roamed free here in the Northeast!

There are costs associated with a bunch of wild hog meat  in the freezer.  Hogs devastate the deer population and screw up the environment.  i have seen one fawn at our lease in the past two years.  Wish we had no  hogs-NONE.  

In the past two weeks we have trapped 14 adult hogs and one juvenile:  Except for a trap malfunction we would have had three or four hogs today.  Here are some we trapped:

th_DSC01995.jpg

th_DSC01998.jpg

th_DSC02003.jpg

In those two weeks we have  shot an additional five hogs.   Today i killed a 250 pound boar. 

i'm tired of retrieving, field dressing and skinning hogs.  At age 77 i should be doing something else. 

i get envious  when someone posts  a big mule deer  or elk.  Next fall i'll be elk hunting somewhere, maybe mule deer too.   Hogs can pound sand.

We don't have them here yet but they are close my understanding is. I hate the thoughts of it, as falcon said they mess up a lot of good deer hunting land and habitat.

Count me into the "anti-hog" crowd. The woods around my house is so infested with them that deer, turkeys, and other wildlife can't co-exist with them.
    The only way to enjoy the meat off these varmints is to trap them alive, feed them in a pen for a while, then slaughter them. Shooting them in the wild produces rather tough, tasteless meat.  :evil:

The only way to enjoy the meat off these varmints is to trap them alive, feed them in a pen for a while, then slaughter them.
Au contraire: 

Your area must have skinny hogs.   The vast majority of hogs here are fat and delicious.   They are well fed on the hoof.   We do occasionally catch a skinny hog.   The areas we  hunt and trap  have  acorns, pecans and wheat fields.   Some folks also run feeders.  

th_DSC01634.jpg

th_Sow25Mar11.jpg

yep! They were stuffed with wheat when Floyd and I were skinning them out. I like to slice the meat up like thick bacon, season it and throw the pan onto an open fire and slow cook it. Sooo freaking good! The BBQ ribs were also amazing.

Yeah, I suppose you guys have a better class of wild hog than we do. Down here there's no agriculture, just a lot of palmetto/pine flatwoods. Our hogs are rather skinny and God only knows what kind of crap they're eating out there.

falcon said:
The only way to enjoy the meat off these varmints is to trap them alive, feed them in a pen for a while, then slaughter them.
Au contraire: 

Your area must have skinny hogs.   The vast majority of hogs here are fat and delicious.   They are well fed on the hoof.   We do occasionally catch a skinny hog.   The areas we  hunt and trap  have  acorns, pecans and wheat fields.   Some folks also run feeders.  
Falcon, a lot of your hogs' photos resemble actual breeds like Hampshires, Yorkshires, Poland Chinas, etc. I think that's because yours are probably descended from "escapees" from actual hog raising operations.
Our hogs are descended from the ones that DeSoto brought over in 1539. They have evolved into mostly black, long-haired destroying machines that don't get very fat even if they are fed in a pen. Their hindquarters are thin and they seldom weigh over 170 lbs.

From my experience down here, I have to agree with Fiddler. I'd much rather have your hogs here instead. However, NO HOGS would suit me better.

Falcon, a lot of your hogs' photos resemble actual breeds like Hampshires, Yorkshires, Poland Chinas, etc. I think that's because yours are probably descended from "escapees" from actual hog raising operations.
"Escapees", hardly;  LOL. 

Many of those hogs we kill/trap  are descended from hogs bought at stock sales and turned loose by Bubba.  Some are genuine first generation bought at stock sales and turned loose by Bubba.   Some look like show pigs that did not make the cut.   Hog hunting/hog dogging for  profit is a big deal in that area. 

Killed this 306 pound boar early this week.  Was sitting on the ground watching a game trail when hog came around the corner about 20 yards away.  Popped him between the running lights with  250 grain SST. 

th_DSC02013.jpg

th_2ace0a88-9523-4d29-b594-3ca1cf2d73b8.jpg

See the slit in the ear in the first photo.   That is the "mark"  of some big time hog dogger or hog hunting "guide".  That hog had been trapped and "marked" by some one.  i often kill hogs with someone's ear "mark".   The hogs we kill there often have a notch or notches in the ear.   

Some hunter would have paid at least a $500 "trophy fee" for the hog  pictured.

Patocazador: 

i'm not laughing at you.  i'm laughing at the sorry situation that we in the state of OK finds ourselves in.  The OK Dep't. of Agriculture  is tasked with  feral hog
enforcement.   They are powerless to prevent Bubba from transporting hogs brought at the stock sale.  If they catch him in the act of dumping hogs that's another matter.  Very seldom is anyone charged with dumping hogs.

Latest posts

Back