Best cartridge rifle? Make? Model? Caliber?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the distance you want to shoot, my $350 Stevens 22 250 with $80 used Athlon scope outshoots most other rifles I've had or shot or friends rifles. Little bit of trigger work and hand loads make a big difference. It's light, synthetic stock, if I drop it oh well the scope was $80. But it's a varmint rifle, not a bench rest rifle. I like 270, 6mm arc, 243, 6.5 whatever and anything in between. I guess it all depends on money and what a person wants to do with the rifle and how precise you want the shots. Seen a lot of Howa, Tika, and even Savage actions with quality barrels all reworked that don't hurt the wallet too bad.

I have a Ruger American that shoots pretty good out of the box.Topped it with a Burris 4.4x14. Here’s the first 3 shot group of the first load I worked up for it. It’s a .308

With the correct ammo, they shoot very well.

Even better with tailored loads.

My RA in 300bo was accurate enough I guess, but I never really found out. Trigger stopped resetting about 90 rounds in, directions factory sent me to fix it and that ended up w/ the bolt disassembled and needing a special tool to redo it.... have it in the back of the safe waiting to go thru the hassle of shipping/etc just to resell when I get it back

My RA in 300bo was accurate enough I guess, but I never really found out. Trigger stopped resetting about 90 rounds in, directions factory sent me to fix it and that ended up w/ the bolt disassembled and needing a special tool to redo it.... have it in the back of the safe waiting to go thru the hassle of shipping/etc just to resell when I get it back
That's what scares me about Price Point firearms.

There's less than 100 rounds through mine. I hate that stiff cocking point built into the bolt. A touch over four hundred bucks is why I bought it.

I should have employed Buy Once, Cry Once and bought the Tikka T3 instead.

Somehow I am missing the point. anonymouscowherd said for me to get a "Mueller 8-32 scope on it w/ target dot or mildot" I asked what scope like this could I find with a red dot in the crosshairs, or lighted reticle?

Please spell it out so I can go to Amazon and order one. Name? Model? Specs? It would be helpful to spell this out
My opinion, Trijicon Tr22 With illuminated Mildot Reticle. Excellent Scope & Good clear lens. Good for target shooting & hunting. I have a Trijicon Tenmile Hx on my Tikka T3x RoughTech 6.5 Creedmoor 6x24x50. Excellent Target, Varmint & deer hunting rifle & scope Combo. One of the smoothest bolt actions I have ever used. I own 3 Tikkas & love them all & for the price can't beat them.

Last edited:
My opinion, Trijicon Tr22 With illuminated Mildot Reticle. Excellent Scope & Good clear lens. Good for target shooting & hunting. I have a Trijicon Tenmile Hx on my Tikka T3x RoughTech 6.5 Creedmoor 6x24x50. Excellent Target, Varmint & deer hunting rifle & scope Combo. One of the smoothest bolt actions I have ever used. I own 3 Tikkas & love them all & for the price can't beat them.
I agree. Been waiting to hear from you. I'm in!

Roughly 200-250fps more than the Creed but still fits in a short action. Some magazines may be on the short side for some projectiles though. Very similar to the 6.5 Norma in terms of speed.

I talked with my sniper buddy. He said that Law Enforcement snipers go rarely beyond 100yds. Longest he ever heard about was 150 yards. They use AR 15 and AR 10 in .308cal. I guess only the Military use the very long shots. He has a 338 Lapua,

But the new thing in LE is an 8.6 Blackout. It can be easily modified on an AR10. 16" Barrel with suppressor is awesome! He knew a guy killed a Cape Buffalo at 200yds.

"The 8.6 Blackout, also known as 8.6 BLK, is a centerfire rifle cartridge that uses a shortened 6.5mm Creedmoor case with an 8.6 mm projectile. It was developed by Q, LLC, and is sometimes called the "big brother" of the 300 Blackout. The 8.6 Blackout is designed to run in semi-autos and fire heavy projectiles at subsonic speeds. It has a 1:3 twist rate, which is faster than other calibers, and is effective in both subsonic and supersonic rounds."
https://faxonfirearms.com/86blk/

Last edited:
Swedes had it right over 100years ago. hint hint :D
My oldest is a Swiss Jaeger mid 1700s. .70cal. Converted to percussion.

Love to shoot it with 85gr 2ffg. Round ball. Still in as good condition as when made. My favorite ML.

Attachments

• Swiss Jaeger.JPG
    Swiss Jaeger.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1760.JPG
    IMG_1760.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1770 sw.JPG
    IMG_1770 sw.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
If you're looking for a scope with a crosshair/illuminated red dot there are a few out there. I have 2 Konus M30 PROs that have the illuminated red center dot. Some guys don't care for the Konus scopes but my 2 are holding up nicely. Now I'm not stuffing vast quantities of BH209 down the bore either. These scopes are on muzzleloaders that shoot moderate doses Pyrodex or Triple 7 powders.

Back