Anyone have/had a Knight MK-95 Magnum Elite w/Posi-Fire Ign

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reese

Reaction score
I was watching an old Modern Muzzleloading Inc (Knight) video the other week. In it they were using the NEW Knight MK-95 Magnum Elite w/Posi-Fire Ignition. The ignition system used something like a plastic 38 special shell with large rifle or large pistol primer. I have never come across one of these and was wondering if they really sold any of them?

Reese,

Yes they were sold. I have one of them in 50 cal and picked it up in late 1997, if I remember correctly. That was also the year they were discontinued in favor of the new (original) Disc Rifle. The MK 95 was shipped with a #11 cap ignition, but there was a card packed with each rifle for you to call knight and they would ship (via FedEx) the rifle primer ignition kit to you Free of charge. It replaced the breech plug, and Bolt. This ignition system uses a Speer 38spl Plastic case (designed for shooting rubber bullets) and a Large rifle primer. You can see where they went from here to the Disc. They are a great rifle and I would never part with mine. I would actually love to get another one. I missed one, New old Stock, in 54 caliber a year ago because I got out bid on it at the last minute. :x :evil: I am always on the look out for another. it is my go-to rifle for Deer season. It did a great job on my blackbear too. 8)

ShawnT

By the way, they are very hard to find. You will find more MK85's that the MK 95. If any one knows of one for sale please let me know. :wink:

ShawnT

Are there still sources for the plastic shells and breech plugs?

The only scource for the breechplug that I know of is Knight, but they are not hard on them at all. I bought a spare and have never installed it. Still using the same one. I have shot a lot of rounds through this one but I mostly shoot it in the Fall now practicing for the season. With all that is happening with knight maybe I should call and see if they have another so I can have a backup for my backup. :wink:

There are a lot of sources for the cases. Speer still makes them for the 38 and 44. I usually get them from Natchez Shooter Supply, they are about $7 - $8 for a box of 50. I have gotten them on sale from time to time. They are produced for you to propel a rubber bullet from the case under the power of the Primer Only (No Powder) for Indoor practicing with a handgun. Knight just adopted it for the rifle. The Breech plug is turned so that it has a slightly tapered hole for the case to go into and that allows the case to seal the breech plug. The bolt face has a "Shell Holder" made in the end of it to accept the plastic case. I have hunted in all day downpours and just wiped the rifle off. Next day or so It fired no problem. I did experiment with a brass case a long time ago. It works too but they use small pistol primers and the case needs to be shortened up a bit.

ShawnT

Shawn...can you send a pic of that system???
I'm sure we would all like to see it.

Spit,

I'll try, I have never been able to post pics here since I do not have an account with photobucket or other such sites and just never bothered with it. I'll take some pics when I get home tonight and see if I can get them on here.

It really is a good system. I like it better than the original or New discs. I have never had a failure to fire with it due to using CCI Mag large rifle primers (knight recommended). I mostly shoot Pellets with it though, it loves 2 50grn pellets and a Knight 310grn lead bullet with the supplied sabot. Hammer Time! :D 8) But I have shot loose and even Blackhorn 209. The blackhorn shot very well with no hang/delay fires, but it was pretty hard on the plastic cases as I remember. The MK 95 rifle is Max Load rated at 130 grains, Maybe that was a "Magnum" charge back then. I did not work with the Bh209 in it much (just dropped 100 gn V and shot it), but I might try it again in some lighter charges, say 80 to 90 grainsV. If I can find a few brass 38 spl cases I might try making up some and try some small pistol primers with the bh209.

ShawnT

Sabotloader,

Thanks. I read up on it a while back, but since I did not have much need for one of the off site photo hosts, I just never bothered to subscribe to one. I'll go back and study on it some more and maybe set one up.

I just might take you up on the offer to post them for me for the time being though, since a few want to see this system and I might be the only one here with one. I'll let you know later.

Thanks,

ShawnT

ShawnT

Thanks Shawn - i am really interested also...I really want to see that BP. Do you get much blow-back?

I would love to see the pictures as well especially what the striker looks like. I am wondering if the system would work in my mk-85.
Thanks, Art

Ok Guys here is my first try at posting pics.

The Rifle

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab216/sbtrout/DSCF0387.jpg[img]

Close up of Action

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab216/sbtrout/DSCF0391.jpg
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab216/sbtrout/DSCF0399.jpg
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab216/sbtrout/DSCF0400.jpg

Hope that works.

ShawnT

Well it does not look like it worked. Guess I'll have to try again.

ShawnT

Shawn, the html code was a little off. Here they are.

The Rifle

DSCF0387.jpg

Close up of Action

DSCF0391.jpg

Ignition Components Breech Plug up

DSCF0399.jpg

Ignition Components Breech Plug

DSCF0400.jpg

I think I might have it this time.

By the way Flounder, Thes parts do not fit the Mk 85 due to the Bolt. You should be able to see the cut out for the bolt.

This is the Rifle

DSCF0387.jpg

The Action

DSCF0391.jpg

The Ignition components Breech plug down(bolt side)

DSCF0399.jpg

This time with breech plug up (powder side)

DSCF0400.jpg

I think this will work now, Hope the size of the pick is ok. Still need to figure out how to re-size.

ShawnT

I have no idea why that double posted. Sorry. :oops:

ShawnT

Sabotloader,

I don't remember the blow back being that bad, some but the cases did not hold up too good as I remember. It was last summer when I shot bh209 in it. I will have to get arround to trying again. WhenI do I will let you know.

Here is just the bolt from 3 sides.

Plunger side

DSCF0401-1.jpg

Breechplug side
DSCF0402-1.jpg

Side view so you can see the firing pin
DSCF0403-1.jpg

I think I did a little better this time,

ShawnT

Shawn, great photos. How many times can you reuse the plastic shells?

Reese,

I can re-use about 3 times when shooting Pyrodex Pellets or loose Pyrodex. I don't always do that though. I have a wood block made up to sit the case in and punch out the primer. You would not be able to reuse with the Blackhorn. It blew by the primer a little and loosened the pocket if memory serves. I would bet that if I used a 38 spl brass case it would not do that at all. I had a couple of cases made up a long time ago. I started looking for them when I got some Bh209, but have not found them. I need to pick up some. I don't have a 38 or 357 anymore, so no cases.

ShawnT

Back