Anyone Have Experience with the 300 gr. PT Gold Bullets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I've been hunting with the 260 gr. PT Gold bullets for about 3 years and I've had a couple of deer travel over 100 yds. without leaving much of a blood trail after being shot in the lungs. I have some 300 gr. PT Golds and wonder if they would produce quicker kills.

If anyone has experience with using these on deer, I would appreciate your input.

Both lungs?
Are you already experiencing two pass-thru holes? If so, the 300s likely won't help. Try tweaking your aim -- higher lung clipping the backbone or lower lung clipping the heart.

I wish I could get technical on shots. I'm happy to be within 3" of where I aim off-handed. Many times I'm 5" from where I aimed....lol

Getting old and unsteady at 65 years-young. Are you unhappy shooting XTPs. I really like the 44-cal 300s at the range. Still haven't harvested with one yet.

I just may go back to shooting 365 gr. Maxi-balls. The deer dropped on the spot (almost) with those.
The only problem with the big heavy bullets is the amount of bullet drop past 80 yards.

I think they are excellent performers. The .260 PT Gold was slightly better on paper than the .300 but still grouped great.
Wanted to try the .260 first as I was pretty confident with it.
had good results.

I've been using the 300 gr PT Golds for a couple years now.  First deer was a little high as she was quartering away, she went about 20 yds.  Last year was a bit far back, but got the diaphragm...she went about 60 yds.  Had to finish her with a second shot.  No complaints about the 300 gr so far.  Ballistics reports show they carry better at 200 yds, (less drop)

Bob, I think you would be pleasantly surprised with Barnes 250's.  A little pricey, but works all the time every time!!  Great blood trails and even opens up well at longer distances.  You won't be disappointed.

Your shot was similar to mine in November, Illinois. Harvested a 9pt at 50 yards though.
CVA Optima V2 / .260 PT GOLD, BCR sabot / 90 gr. BH209.
Quartering away, lung shot, bullet retrieved front shoulder just under the hide, retained 148.7 grains, expansion was great. Was thinking about the .300 gr PT Gold this year for comparison.

We've shot 2 bucks so far with the 260gt pt gold. 80fr bh209 to 110gr bh209 and they drop on the spot.

The 300gr is a good solid bullet. You just can't get them in bulk from Carlos

"80fr bh209 to 110gr bh209 and they drop on the spot."

Not for me, unless I neck shoot them. I use 90 gr by vol. of BH209 and lung shots allow them to go 80-100 yds. Not a problem in open areas but in Florida's jungles it makes a big difference if there's no exit for a good blood trail.

I'm looking for a muzzy bullet that works like a Nosler Partition that expands and penetrates for the best of both worlds. Such a bullet may not exist at muzzleloading velocities but, if it does, I want it.

Bob, I have always used the TEZ 250 and replaced the sabot with a smooth harvester.  That with  100 grains of BH209 have given me some of the best blood trails I've ever seen and is extremely accurate out of my Encore and my Accura MR.  I used SST's for many years and they were accurate, just didn't expand sometimes and the blood trails were scant or nonexistant.  These Barnes are great for reduced loads as well.  Many of my young nephews and even my daughter have shot deer with 60 grains volume of BH209 and had great results.  I was able to recover a couple of the bullets and they were perfect flowers, just like my avatar.  The solid copper is consistent, accurate and holds together for quick, clean kills.

Back