Another CT bird down...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattRaymond

Reaction score
Opening day in CT was yesterday. I live in MA now but close to the CT border. I hunted a large section of State property in MA on Monday in the rain and saw some action and some gobbling but it was a tough day in the big timber and went home empty handed after logging 5 miles on my step counter.

Wednesday brought nice weather and I went back to my old honey hole in CT. I have always done well at this spot and am using this year to introduce a younger hunter to the addiction of turkey hunting. Couldn’t have asked for a better day. Slipped up the finger ridge that usually produces and wasn’t disappointed. Birds started gobbling from the typical roosting spots about 150 yards away. We cut a little bit of distance and set up next to a couple of nice trees. Some soft yelps and clucks got the boys fired up on the limb. Once they hit the ground I poured it on a little heavier and they started coming. 3 nice longbeards and a jake made their way to us and stopped at 25 yards. I remained silent and we watched the show strutting, spitting and drumming from one gobbler for awhile 2 of the 3 longbeards hammering at us from 20-25 yards away. You can feel that kind of gobbling in your own lungs! The young jake just off to the side not saying anything for fear of catching a spur in the chest. After what seemed like forever, it was probably more like 2 minutes. The strutter’s brother started getting nervous or maybe he saw something he didn’t like...a few nervous putts later, the strutted folded up and was about to take a step when the invisible hen made a cluck. He just had to stretch up for one last peak...it was his last! Needles to say, the kid is hooked and we’re going out again soon and and it’s his turn this time.

Attachments

• FC77CF8C-084E-463C-A7CB-A175459FBACA.jpeg
    FC77CF8C-084E-463C-A7CB-A175459FBACA.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
Wow nice longbeard Matt. Gotta love it when you find multiple mature birds on the roost with no hens in sight. Hasn't happened for me in a few years but I have experienced that show before. Congratulations on a great bird and hunt.
Be safe.

Thanks Bobby, that hunt was a gift! Even the guy I took with me said “it doesn’t always go like this does it?” Haha, nope... I’m planning on going after the bird I struck deep in the timber on MA state land earlier in the week. The weather should be perfect and I won’t be so weighed down with rain gear and a wet vest. I don’t mind putting in the effort for a true deep woods gobbler like that.

I may have to miss the spring season this time around. Very nice bird!

Latest posts

Back