And we have the winners!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
Congratulations Jim and Kristel! :partyman:
Thanks to everyone who entered! :D By the way, everyone can reply to this topic if you want to offer your congrats. :wink:

bigbuck.jpg
Spitpatch
Magilla died last night at the hands of old Spit, with a little help from Tony Knight, Del Ramsey and Bushnell.

Steady light rain had turned a beautiful October afternoon into a sloppy nightmare. With daylight waning, a lone dark blob moved slowly in the distance. DEER! The 8x42"s told him it was a buck--and a NICE one! Was this just another wet dream? No one could sleep in weather like this, he told himself. The cold aching spasm in his back was now gone as adrenaline coursed through his veins. His wet trigger finger quivered with anticipation as old Spit peered into the twilight for the ever darkening figure of Magilla. The old Bushnell 3200 he had come to rely on for so long was about to hand him another Magilla on a platter. The steady hypnotic rhythm of the cold October rain was drowned out by the drumming inside his chest, sending the crosshairs into a spastic dance around the ever darkening figure. Steady Spit. Just a few steps more! Be patient! The distance was closing. In a few precious seconds he would bring closure to this final chapter of study, practice and patience. The months of practice, the MONEY he had spent, and the chidings from those that knew him-- would soon be but a fleeting memory eclipsed by the task at hand.
"Steady now Spit", he thought to himself as he mustered and regained his nerve. His finger now steady, he gently caressed the 2-1/2# trigger. He waited----209 yards and closing...Rain Guard is a wonderful thing, He thought. Passing the tree he had ranged earlier...150 yards! HIS ZERO!! The buck stopped. Alert, his ears rotating like radar, his nose testing the air! A straight on frontal shot... Should he take it? Would the 200 grain SST do the job? Would Del's blue sabot hold up to the pressure of the Triple Seven charge? Would Rifleman ever eat Ground Cherry pie?
As quick as he had stopped, Magilla bolted ever closer in a heated attempt to inspect two does that had innocently wondered into this picture-book scenario while heading to an adjacent bean field. They quickly ran off wanting nothing to do with him. It was not their time yet. He was a massive piece of meat--a real "Bone Head" a term Spit used to describe large racked deer to his kids. 60 yards and angling...50...40... Closer and closer he came. He stopped to work a scrape under the edge of a Large Hawthorne tree. As he rose to nibble on his licking branch his massive neck looked almost cartoonish, like some kind of comic book character.
His time was now, at what Spit would later range to be 32 yards, Magilla died from a broken heart...literally!

I was happy to harvest this fine animal at 32 Yards even though my dream was to take him at 150. So it goes........Spit

spitpatch.jpg

bigdoe.jpg
Savage Girl

Well we have made it in from Kentucky, with quite a bit of meat and a set of nice antlers, which by the way do not belong to me!! I was so psyched Sat. morning. I went to a shooting house with a guide and a video camera to film the HUGE buck I anticipated seeing.Well, I saw several does and a 4point: but not a good one; it barely had the 4 points and they were somewhat deformed. And it was only 7 am. Still wasn't prime feeding time(10:30) for the big ones!! Nothing else came. Went to the same place that night, sure I would see something. Had camera positioned, gun at my side, and NOTHING!! :cry: When I get in Chuck has killled an 11 point!! I couldn't be more happy and upset all at the same time. So i decide to sit in a tree stand the next morning. This was my first time to do so. I was kind of scared:bugs,cold, lots of unexplained rustles in the dark!! Kept seeing the same two does and baby over and over. Finally, I pop one of them. She was 47 yards away, and she fell right where she stood!!! She weighed 115 pounds; five pounds less than the one I got last year. Well, Sunday afternoon i hoped to see a buck; it was my last chance. Didn't see ANYTHING!! But all in all it went well. I at least got something and Chuck got one of the biggest deer he's ever gotten with a muzzleloader. I really enjoyed our experience at Bare Bottom Lodge. Hope to get my big buck there next year. BTW: Sorry to disappoint you Tom, I really wanted the bigger Buck :D

2006huntingpics%20070.jpg

Congratulations to our winners! :prayer:

Every one of you had a winner in my book! I think everyones deer was a trophy especially since you did it with a MUZZLELOADER!

:D Congrats to both Kristel & Spitpatch on their fine ML Trophies & winning the Contest!!

I tried to vote more than once for my Doe but it wouldnt leave me! :lol:

Congratulations Kristel!! and thanks to all who voted. I am truely humbled as there were many fine stories submitted and many fine animals harvested. All were winners in my book, and I truely loved each story. I owe the Lord many thanks once again for the wonderful experience of harvesting a beautiful animal and a special thanks to Magilla's mom. :) I consider everyone on this forum my friend and look forward to meeting all of you some time in the future. You have made my life richer.

Congratulations to two fine hunters Kristel & Spitpatch and two fine ML's Savage & Knight. :D

Thanks for everyone who voted for my doe!! Congrats to Spitpatch on his winning buck!! They all looked good. Maybe I'll win the best dressed award in Tennessee!!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back