tc bone collector

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirtdog

Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloading a bought a bone collector. Does anyone have a good load for it. I would like one for sabots and one that I could use in Co. Thanks don

squirtdog said:
I am new to muzzleloading a bought a bone collector. Does anyone have a good load for it. I would like one for sabots and one that I could use in Co. Thanks don

You can not use sabots in Colorado during ML season... full bore conicals only...

For the sabots try some Hornady XTPs 240g or up and some mmp black sabots with 90g Blackhorn 209 powder. My Triumph also likes the Shockwaves 250g. But like Sabotloader stated you cant hunt with em legally. To hunt try the Powerbelt Aero-tips or Hornady FPBs 300g.

Welcome Squirtdog.
We have some members from CO. that will chime in at sometime.
You will get some good solid info for a starting point but to find out what loads youre BC likes it needs to go to the range.
With you being new do alot of reading here about consistancy.
Mark your rod for an empty barrel and a loaded one,check those marks.
Get a loading procedure and stick to it,let nothing interupt your loading,if something does,double check everything you did up to that point.
A rifle double loaded with powder is one thing (still not smart) but if you double load a bullet and not know it you could be in for trouble as will everyone around you.This is not like a centerfire rifle,it's not just plug and play,take your rifle down and understand each part,what it's function is and how to clean and maintain it.PLEASE wear hearing protection,some of us do not wear eye protection,I am one.Good luck and let us know the results.

Im not a big PowerBelt fan based on price and only average performance on game. Mine do shoot them very well in other rifles.

If you want to try the PBs i would try the Platinums. They are expensive but they sure seem better than the other PBs. My 45 loves them.

I havent tried the Thor yet but i really want to try them based on the reviews ive seen.

BTW if you get any boat tails i can send you a few Harvester sabots for boat tails. They load very easy in my Knight...maybe too easy but in a tight bore TC they might just rock.

Saxman's advice is important too. Always mark your ramrod with a empty mark and at least your preferred hunting load. Make temporary loaded marks until you decide what combo works for you.

I use a Sharpie for the temp marks and a metal scribe on my range rod for permanent marks.

Also until you are comfortable, i would stay away from crowded ranges. Allow no distractions and establish a safe loading routine. Later it will become more natural habit.

Welcome aboard and be safe. Please ask any questions even if they seem obvious. There are no stupid questions when it comes to safety.

Scott

Back