Almost.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Ma and I took a little touring today along the Mississippi River and along the way we stopped at several shops for her so when I found a pawn shop I said we were stopping for me. Lo and behold that place had a bunch of front loaders there. Many were inlines, but there were six sidelocks, one of which was a T/C flinter in a Hawken. There was also a Renegade there and I almost started to dance. Almost. The dance fairly stopped when I took a peek at the barrel's end and saw a wall of rust. This was a single trigger Renegade which didn't really bother me but that rust made me sick and then the critter was a .50 cal and I'm looking for a .54. I run the rod down that rusty pit and it caught and skipped a couple times so even unloaded I wasn't going to spend the $350.00 they had it tagged. The stock looked like it had been scrubbed over a wire fence a couple times too.

There were a couple Encores of newer vintage on the rack and both of those were carrying price tags of $399.00 and both, of course, were rusty inside their bores as far down as the room's light let me see. The breeches were filthy.

Man, it just rips my knickers to see nice firearms like these in the conditions that these stores show them in. If I had guns for sale, be it a CVA Wolf or a Weatherby, the darned things would at least be cleaned and rust free. So......the search goes on.

I know what you mean about uncared for guns! I have a renegade .54 single trigger, my first muzzleloader, not for sale. I wish TC had made a shotgun barrel for the renegade! Also have a .45 LRH barrel for it, unfired so far...

I only desire a 1/66 twist half-stock percussion sidelock. Wish I had never sold my $129 (after tax) CVA Plainsman ten years ago.
Only ones I see available today are Lymans and not wanting anything that long or heavy.

If a Spanish manufacturer were to reintroduce a cheap, light halfstock 1-66 today - in the CVA Wolf / T/C Impact price range, it would sell pretty good .... for a 3-4 year run anyways.....in my opinion.

The few brand-new 1/48 twists available today, like the Hawkens that Frontier Muzzleloading keeps refinishing, then other models like the yucky Traditions Deerhunter and that gosh awful P.A. Pellet model.....etc...etc... well, they are not true-blue roundballers...... just make-believers..... no thanks!

Sorry - for talking sidelocks in an Inline board room. My Bad! I do-so because it appears there's a zero-chance an inline becomes born to a 1/66 twist...... and that's a friggin' shame.

Latest posts

Back