After you clean your rifle from firing it at the range, what do you use to clean and preserve the stock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I always used mineral oil to wipe and clean my wood stocks after I cleaned the barrel. I have been told that isn't a good idea.
Mineral Oil seemed to work, but is there a better way? What do you use to wipe down your stocks?
What do you use for longer term storage?
I've read Linseed and Danish Oils are good; However, each label indicates they are to be used to remove and replace the finish on the stock. That is not what I want.

I might use Birchwood Casey's Gun Stock Wax on occasion, especially for hunting season. I don't like oil near my wood, not even Ballistol which they say is ok to use.

My Accura has a synthetic stock and I just use a damp cloth to wipe it off.

I have used a mix of 50% linseed oil and 50% turpentine for 60 years. I got this recipe from a Sports Afield or Outdoor Life when I was 9 years old. My dad gave me a old very rough 22 that was kept in a barn for years. So I cleaned all the rust off of the metal with stell wool and refinished the stock.
I have never liked the shiny finishes so I sand them off and use the above mixture. Apply it, rub it in for 10-15 minutes, let it sit, next day rub again for a few minutes. When I am starting with a bare stock I apply 3-5 coats this way. After that put a light coat on and rub it in every couple years. I also coat the barrel channel. It has always worked for me and my weapons see a lot of wet days here in west Oregon.

Depends on the finish but most of the time I wipe with a waxed rag. The wax is either Renaissance or Automotive paste wax. Some of mine have oil finishes and those are touched up with a small spot of Tru Oil.

I'll revise my answer from above to say that I do use my bore cleaning solution (currently Butch's bore Shine) on a patch to clean the BP from around the lock and stock areas around it when i'm done at the range.

After wiping black powder residue from lock/breech with Butch's, metal parts get Rem-oil . Unlike kerosene-based oils, Rem-oil is synthetic. Won't thicken in cold weather. Stocks? Depends on the finish and whether the stock's been wet during a hunt.

Latest posts

Back