Adventure into Knightdom

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a couple Knight MK85's years back and wound up selling them after I bought my White S91 and found out how much easier it was to clean. Over the years, I've bought and flipped a few Knights but never kept one to shoot. A year or so ago, I bought an Original DISC .45 with a 1-20 twist SS barrel. The rifle had a round count of under 10 and was like new. The price was very reasonable and I figured it would be a good "flipper". About the same time Knight started offering their Mountaineer 1-20 barrel kits. Needless to say, my hope of a profitable flip went down the tubes. Ran ads for three months.....nothing.
After sitting on this rifle for a while, I made the decision to make it a shooter. After making a few calls, I acquired a Mountaineer Thole stock (thanks Doug S.), packaged up the barreled action and sent it off to Jeff at Bestill Creations, ordered a one piece base from Murphy Precision. The scope and rings I had on hand, Leupold VX3 4.5X14X40 CDS Side focus 30MM tube with Warne rings. Jeff worked his magic and my barreled action received The 2 piece Bestill bp, a Lehigh adapter, and then went out for nitriding. After waiting FIVE FREAKIN WEEKS for the USPS to get it to my house, it has been assembled and is ready to be zeroed. That nitriding looks great. If I can remember to take pics, I will post results.

Attachments

• 20200611_132905 (004).jpg
    20200611_132905 (004).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200611_132946 (002).jpg
    20200611_132946 (002).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 61
Can you share who did the nitride job? About how much did it set you back?

Thanks in advance.

Update.... went to the range today. Had to do my nitride break in. I was advised by Jeff F. that after the nitride process the bore feels gritty. He was right on the money. The first
bullet down felt like there was 80 grit sandpaper in the barrel. I had sized five Startip 2's and I'm glad l only did five. After the second shot the "grittyness" went away but the bullet became loose in the bore although not to loose to where they couldn't be shot. As it turned out five were good enough for today as I had decided just do the barrel thing. I had bore sighted the rifle in the shop and it20200613_174507.jpg turned out fairly close. Load was 110by vol. BH 209, felt .50 can well wad, Fury Startip 2. 100 yards.

That target doesn’t surprise me a bit. Knight 45 1-20, BH 209, and Fury bullets. :lewis:

Latest posts

Back