Accura V2 Load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just wanted to share some information regarding my CVA Accura V2 load. I was looking for this specific information before I shot today, but did not find it anywhere.

After experimenting with two different bullets and three different sabots, I have found that the best load for my Accura is the MMP HPH-24 sabot with the Barnes 250 grain MZ Expander using 100 grains of BH 209. I love Barnes bullets, as they are what I carry in my pistol.

Previously, I tried the following combinations of bullet/sabot (all with 100 grains of BH 209 and Fiocchi primer):
1) Barnes MZ Expander (250 gr) with original black sabot (HPH-12) - loaded extremely tightly, decent grouping
2) Barnes T-EZ (250 gr) with original blue sabot (HPH-24) - easy to load, just did not shoot as tight of a group as the MZ/HPH-24 combination
3) Barnes MZ Expander (250 gr) with black Harvester Crush Rib Sabot - loaded far too loosely, bad group

Incidentally, I have discovered that the blowback from the Western 209 breech plug is significantly less than the CVA Blackhorn breech plug. Although I would prefer to use the black CVA plug instead of the unfinished Western plug, I cannot justify doing so, as the blowback decreases with the Western plug and the flash channel ramp opening into the barrel is significantly larger in the Western plug as seen with the naked eye. This larger opening gives me a warm and fuzzy over the smaller CVA opening.

Of special note, my firing pin bushing is flush with the back of the receiver, and I am not going to shim it since the blowback with the Western plug is only a light dusting. Finally, I tried using the o-ring in the primer pocket of the plug in both the Western and CVA BH plugs to eliminate the blowback, but neither plug with the o-ring allowed the hammer to cock fully, so I ditched that idea.

If you have any questions, let me know.

You could shim that firing pin bushing and make it blow back free, depending on your primer choice. CVA sells a shim kit made especially for the reason of tuning your rifle to the primer of your choice. Some primers leak between the primer cup and the battery cup. So through the primer, instead of around it.

I use the European NSI (Nobel Sport) primers in my CVA, as they are a better fit than the American primers. Fiocchi may be as well?

I've tested over a dozen different primers (around 15) with Blackhorn, Fiocchi is one that I haven't.

Sorry, I don't have the Accura V2. The Western Powders Breech Plug is a better breech plug than the CVA Blackhorn Breech Plug, in every way. Both work.

Latest posts

Back