accura MR-X .50 long distance accuracy expectations ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
it seems like the 45 MRX/LRX is like playing the lottery as far as getting a accurate barrel goes . but the 50s are still getting great comments concerning their barrels . my question is .... with an ALMOST but not really competent person pulling the trigger (not a seasoned ML shooter) and a bullet/powder combo it likes what kind of accuracy can be expected at 200 and 300 yards shooting paper ? or maybe a little farther ? i have no davy crocket illusions , i doubt i'd ever shoot at a deer at close to 200 yards let alone farther . but paper punching is on the menu and if i surprise myself chucks and yotes on the farm will be added as targets at longer distances .
thanks , jeff

A lot of CVA Mr's 50 cal 1 and 28 twist for me, as a matter of fact I have a brand new one that I'm fixing to be shooting,, and yes I've given up on their 45 Cal barrels at least for the time, all of my 50 cal 1 and 28 twists CVA Acuras have been capable of half inch or less groups at 100 ,at 200 yards they were all capable of palm shots consistent 3 in or less shots at 300 6 to 8 in groups very consistent but you need to practice a lot at those distances and pay attention to wind,, and of course you work up the best most accurate load I know the first group I try will be 70 grains by weight of Blackhorn and a 250 grain Fury black tip or 265 stb in harvester black . This combination has shot lights out in every Acura so far that I've tried it is my pet load might have to tweak the powder slightly up or down that's no big deal.

I'm shooting 80grn blackhorn by volume with the xtp 240s and getting right around 1in 3 shot groups. I haven't shot any farther than that because of the issue of finding more blackhorn powder. Accura V2 lr muzzleloader.

My best friend traded a CVA Electra in, he called them it was having some trouble with it they told him they would replace the rifle for free they sent him offered him the Mr in 50 cal I told him to jump on it for a straight up trade. This friend has the original Acura that I started with years ago with the boat paddle duck head stock it shot great then and it still does for him I'm excited to be able to help him with the new rifle with a much better stock

Back