A slight Cone of the muzzle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
This .58cal Hawken bore originally had rifling that ran straight through the end of the muzzle, making for super hard loading with patched round balls. I made my own little tool and was able to lightly cone/funnel the edge of the rifling into the crown so the patched balls were able to pop into the muzzle nicely with a short starter and of course, not cut the patch while loading. The owner should be a lot happier now with this improvement.
img_9830.jpg

You can also make a slight cone by using your thumb with a piece of sandpaper. Just press your thumb down in the center of the bore and move it around in a circle. 

However, this small amount of coning won't help the loading process much. 
It just gets rid of burs or irregularities that may affect performance.

I normally do use my thumb but i found a piece of material that took it down so much faster and most importantly, it took it down center and cleanly.

You can see a slight ring mark above the rifling. That's how much the rifling stuck out!

One other method is to use a tungsten ball burr, you can cone it as little or much as you like...I have a  1/2"  and a 3/4" and they work well as a ball finds it's natural center in a cylinder...you can either use a drill on slow speed or a good old fashion brace...You can also do a two stage cone also...Just a thought...

Hilljack

FrontierGander said:
I normally do use my thumb but i found a piece of material that took it down so much faster and most importantly, it took it down center and cleanly.

You can see a slight ring mark above the rifling. That's how much the rifling stuck out!
What "material" did you use, and is that what you are also calling your homemade little tool to remove the metal :?:

the best way to redue a crown is the brownell crowning tool kit. to polish the crown on the picture above put a marble or ball bearing of the size of a marble on the floor. put a couple of layers of 400 grit then to 1500 grit over the marble or ball bearing. place the barrels muzzle tight over the lump of emery paper, firm onto the ball bearing or marble. spin by hand the barrel making it as straight up and down as you can. the lump will stay in the muzzle and not go off cent. this is to polish after it is cut correctly. you can end up with a perfect chrome finish crown that wont have a odd fingers of gas coming off it. the high polish makes the gas ball perfect. to see it, fire the gun a night at a safe place. the fire ball should have no fingers of gas coming off the sides. a perfect ball of fire in shape. that makes for good groups. i never settle for near perfect crowns. their are many spokes of the wheel in getting good groups and a perfect crown is one of them. also when you wipe the bore between ropunds make sure you take the grease circle off of the crown also. the grease on the crown makes for a false crown and can open up your groups. clean the muzzle as well as the bore between shots.

Back