A newbie from wv.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterlink

Reaction score
Hello all.
im a total newbie.just got my first muzzle loader.at 44 yrs of age.ben useing modern rifles and shotguns all my life.my wife gave me an early christmas present the other day.a CVA firebolt ultamag 209.its a 2002 model i think.she got it at a local gunshop brand new in the box w/rings and mounts for a 100 bucks.i put a simmons aetec scope on it and went to the range this past tuesday.i thought it was junk because of the price and knowing nothing about muzzle loaders.after shooting it i changed my mind real fast.i was amazed at the accuracy.im hooked now.mabie some day i can get a better one but for now im happy.and i hope to bust a deer with it next week.im useing 2 pyro pellets.and hornady 250 sst.mainly because she got those for me two.i had the scope already.this is a great site.lots of info.i plan on stickin around.
Regards.
D. :D

The CVA Firebolt in its day was one of their better rifles. People went to the new technology rifles for a number of reasons, they save time in cleaning and some are a little more water resistant in bad weather then others. And face it, they were new. But they are no better shooters then the older model and styles.

I shoot a Black Diamond XR made by Thompson Center. It has to be the dirtiest, blow back breech fowling rifle ever made. But it also has a free floating barrel, excellent trigger, can handle all brands of ignition, and on the range will shoot with the best of them. It just takes longer to clean.

That load you decided on is a good one. It does not surprise me it shoots well. And that is all the power you need for any deer that walked. Put that in the right place and you have a deer.

Just pay attention to making sure the rifle, bolt, etc.. is all cleaned well. If you don't have a manual, contact CVA and ask for one, or download one. Take care of that rifle and it will shoot great for many years to come.

And WELCOME TO THE FORUM. ITS GOOD TO HAVE YOU HERE.

Thanks for the info.and yes i do have the manule.the breach tool.and everything that comes with a new smokepole.it was old stock but brand new in the box.i think thats why she got it cheap.plus i dont think they were vary expensive in there prime.it has a great trigger.3lbs by my trigger guage.and crisp.i really like all the info here.plan on stikin around a while.
THX
Doug.

Welcome to a fellow West Virginian. Forecast does appear to be a wet one for us first part of next week. Make sure you get a balloon or tape to cover your muzzle so gun will go boom!

Latest posts

Back