A great Start

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheephunterab

Reaction score
I took a friend on her very first hunt ever to Mackay Lake in the NWT and on the first day out she killed two great caribou including this B&C monster that should go top 5 in Longhunter. Not a bad way to start your hunting carrer. She was using a .50 cal Encore with two Pyrodex pellets and a 250-grain Shockwave bullet.

vbull2.jpg

Sheep hunter do you know how much I envy you? You get to muzzleload in some of the best hunting territory in the world, you have nice rifles, and you get to guide nice looking women who can shoot well. I think your my hero! :lol:

Too funny rifleman.....it was a real pleasure introducing Vanessa to the wonderful world of hunting and muzzleloaders. I know I'll treasure her as a fine hunting companion for years to come. And the best part is that her husband is an anti hunter. I can't wait until the taxidermist gets the caribou head done and she brings it home. I hope Kim and I get invited to supper that night.

Nice Bull!!! I've gotta' keep saving my pennies so I can get in a photo like that.

Deernut...we were hunting with True North Safaris on this hunt. There are some great last-minute deals to be had if your schedule is flexible. Vanessa's bull can't be officially scored until November 23 but he will go very high in Longhunter. He grosses more than my #2 bull but has a lot of deductions. No matter what he scores though, I coulodn't think of a better way to start a hunting career.

There are some great last-minute deals to be had if your schedule is flexible

My schedule can be very flexible.....the question is, how good are the deals? I was looking at 2-5 years away before I was really serious, but you can never start planning too early. I am budgeting around $6000 CDN as a ballpark.

That's likely a reasonable amount as travel and hotels need to be added into the equation. The best time to call some of these outfitters if your schedule is flexible enough is a month or so away from the season. Often they still have openings or cancellations that can be bought at a discount.

Vanessa got her bull scored today and it looks as though it will go #4 in the Longhunter book and it also qualifies for the Boone and Crockett all-time book. She was really excited to say the least.

sheephunterab said:
Vanessa got her bull scored today and it looks as though it will go #4 in the Longhunter book and it also qualifies for the Boone and Crockett all-time book. She was really excited to say the least.

That's great 8) Thanks for the update.

Back