A good day at the range finally

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Got out to the range today and found that i had over dressed big time! Its in the low 50's today. Shooting the CVA Accura with a new load of 120gr Blackhorn209 and the 270gr Powerbelt Platinums. First 3 shots were beautiful! I adjusted and took one more shot and the elevation is perfect but needs 2 clicks to the left to be right on. Oh man im excited! 3 shots at 100 yards into a 1" center to center group. Im not sure if i can improve on that much.

I ditched my Sight N clean gun rest, I felt it was causing accuracy problems due to the way it holds the rifle. I took a back pack stuffed in a jacket and then a Memory foam pillow and folded it over so the rifle would rest in between the pillow flaps. Perfect! Its not 100% steady but it sure as heck didnt hurt my groups today.
Sorry for the huge rip. My target box fell apart due to the 10" of snow that fell 2 days ago. I just taped this up to the bucket and the target ripped after 2 shots.
105_9098.jpg

Theres no doubt in my mind that if i had a solid rest, this rifle would put the 110gr BH209 - 245gr Powerbelt into a single hole, shot after shot. 100 yards again. The shot outside of the hole was #2, i most likely pulled it a bit. Also did 2 more shots with the 270gr platinums and i got an 1 1/4" group, but that was with 110gr BH209, the Platinums really seem to like a heavy dose of blackhorn209.
105_9100.jpg

My simple rest i was using today,
105_9099.jpg

Tomorrow it should be another nice day with the weather so i got 9 more shots ready. All are 120gr blackhorn 209 loads with the following - 245gr powerbelt - 295gr powerbelt and the 338gr Powerbelt Platinum. Going to use CCI 209M primers on this outing.

Emptied the first can of BH209 and have a little left over to pour into the new can.

that front sight dont get into the veiw of the scope any? well by the looks of the groups i guess not but sure looks like it would in the pics.

it will only get in the way if i turn the scope power down, then i get a hazy look in the scope. But at 9X, no problems at all.

The 45cal 300gr Plat shot great in mine too with 100gr of BH209. Recoil was about as much as a 50cal so i decided just to use that charge with it. :D

I do like the heavy PB Plat series now if can get them on sale. They seem to shoot well and mine held up pretty good.

I wish I could feel as good as you do about your shooting today. :? You'll see in a few minutes. Great to hear you had good session. :D

Tankhead said:
I wish I could feel as good as you do about your shooting today. :? You'll see in a few minutes. Great to hear you had good session. :D

Ive had plenty of garbage days and 5-6" groups. You learn and move ahead. :yeah:

I even have 1 combo that shoots really nice below 50F and 100gr but go over either and they open up. :?:

Latest posts

Back