A few new additions in the house.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I bought a all Black WeatherShield Triumph brand new for $260.00 bucks. Havent scoped it up yet or nothing. Nikon sent me a 4.5 -14x40 BuckMasters scope to try out on my 223. Just got it in the mail the other day. Looks pretty good but not used yet. I also bought 100 of lanes tubes with the red caps. Perfect for using BH209. I think other colors are available. Colored caps is a good way to seperate powders.

Triumph004.jpg

Triumph005.jpg

gun

Tom...Nice addition to your collection, Nice price also. I personally like the Higher power scopes for load development and hunting. A lot of my guns have the burris 4.5 to 14 settin on their backs.
Wayles

I wasnt expecting the scope at all. I had put a cheap simmons on my new 223 remington 700 i got for my birthday. This scope looks better for sure. Do you use the 14 power at 100yds sighting in?

scope

Yes I sure do, It sure lets you see exactly what your sight picture was when you touch it off at 100, 200, and 300. The higher power is where the ballistic circls are calibrated to or in my case the little crossbars with the burris ballistic plex. Dont't forget to change the AO like I do sometimes for different ranges.
Wayles

Very nice looking rifle. I bet that will be a good shooter.

The Buckmaster scope you will like... I had that very scope...,

Re: scope

wayles said:
Yes I sure do, It sure lets you see exactly what your sight picture was when you touch it off at 100, 200, and 300. The higher power is where the ballistic circls are calibrated to or in my case the little crossbars with the burris ballistic plex. Dont't forget to change the AO like I do sometimes for different ranges.
Wayles

I forgot to mention it has the BDC reticle. I'm actually not a big fan of that. I like Leupolds better. :shock: I have two Ultimate Slam scopes and havent used either yet. To much to do, and not enough time to do it.

The sky is the limit for magnification. As long as you can "focus"or adjust the paralax at the higher end of the spectrum. We shot 100yd bench rest with 36X scopes for years. Now they are using 40X & 45X scopes and doing quite well. One problem can arise from allowing yourself that luxury. You get to where 9X just won't cut it! I would spend the summer shooting BR and hunting groundhogs from 18X to 36X, then have a panic attack come fall with the 6X Leupold on the hunting rifle. "I'm blind!" "I can't see a thing through this scope!" Honestly though, bigger is better for load development. As long as it is an adjustable obj scope.

Why did Nikon send you a scope to try out? That scope has been on the market for quite some time. It's not like they're developing it or anything.

SWThomas said:
Why did Nikon send you a scope to try out? That scope has been on the market for quite some time. It's not like they're developing it or anything.

There are plenty of good people around. I guess just word of mouth. Western Powders, Lehigh Bullets, Knight, T/C, Nikon, and even Leupold have sent me stuff to play with. Actually T/C was thru broker/Distributor. They even came to my range to talk to me.

To answer your question i dont really know. I'm a Leupold guy actually. i have three or four Omega scopes so i didnt need another. I needed something for my 223 that was good. Dont know that this Buckmasters scope is good, but i will let ya know. :wink:

I took the Omega off my NULA and put a Leupold Grand Slam on it. Why, because it's my favorite go to Muzzleloader and i fully trust Leupold scopes. I might change someday, but havent yet.

Grouse said:
SWThomas said:

There are plenty of good people around. I guess just word of mouth. Western Powders, Lehigh Bullets, Knight, T/C, Nikon, and even Leupold have sent me stuff to play with. Actually T/C was thru broker/Distributor. They even came to my range to talk to me.

To answer your question i dont really know. I'm a Leupold guy actually. i have three or four Omega scopes so i didnt need another. I needed something for my 223 that was good. Dont know that this Buckmasters scope is good, but i will let ya know. :wink:

I took the Omega off my NULA and put a Leupold Grand Slam on it. Why, because it's my favorite go to Muzzleloader and i fully trust Leupold scopes. I might change someday, but havent yet.

I'm not questioning you, just trying to familiarize myself with your experience base. What all have you done that would make these companies want to send you gear to test?

Congrats on the gun.
I like the tubes with the red top's,great idea.
I'll have to give Lane a shout and get some.

Nice gun Grouse i really like mine. Here is a picture of the one I put together with a nikon scope with help from you. thanks a bunch.

DSC09800600x450.jpg
[/img]

Those companies probably realize that Tom is nUtZ and will spend money out the ying-yang on anything he likes. :D

SWThomas said:
I'm not questioning you, just trying to familiarize myself with your experience base. What all have you done that would make these companies want to send you gear to test?

I have done nothing at all except piss T/C off and they already took the Triumph back. I actually bought it at a little discount. I learned about Inline Muzzleloading i guess around 7 years ago. I have hunted with a Flintlock for about 15 years.

I was lucky to start out talking to Randy Wakeman alot and he was very helpfull to me in the beggining. Later realized money or something steered him to favor products people gave him etc in my opinion. Big6x6, Underclock, super91 and many others helped me a bunch over the years.

Now i really analize things and ask questions i know the answer to just to see what you think. Sometimes i learn new things that way to.I have shot many Deer over the last 8 years with a variety of different bullets. I have owned a bunch of Muzzleloaders over the years and used them all.

Like underclock mentioned, if i want it i find away to buy it. Side job or whatever it takes. :) I will give a fair honest report on anything i use. Free or not. It makes no difference to me at all. I Love to help people out. I have met atleast 5 people from the board who needed help. All five people left the range very happy.

pos13 said:
Nice gun Grouse i really like mine. Here is a picture of the one I put together with a nikon scope with help from you. thanks a bunch.

DSC09800600x450.jpg
[/img]

Glad i could help. That's a keeper for sure. :yeah:

10point said:
What happened with T/C ??

It actually wasnt T/C. A broker for them thought i was shooting the Knight Disc Elite to much and not enough of his Triumph. He and another fellow visited my range i shoot at.

Tom, since you were learning the sport at the same time as Wakeman (and actually had greater knowledge than he did), it's odd that you would list him as a help. :D

Now us udder dudez iz anudder matta.

Underclocked said:
Tom, since you were learning the sport at the same time as Wakeman (and actually had greater knowledge than he did), it's odd that you would list him as a help. :D

Now us udder dudez iz anudder matta.

As you already know, what i type and what i mean can be way different. He took a liking to me and was a alot of help. I admit that and you know the situation between me and him. :wink:

Back